Chapter 23: The Talk

Mason Steele 

I gave it two days to give her some space. It's been two days since I haven't seen her or talk to her. I just want to put an end to this. To be honest, I miss her. I miss talking to her and annoying her. I miss spending time with her. I miss the way she would get mad at me for no reason. I miss it all. My mom told me she would drop me off at the hospital and will pick me up when she finishes doing her errands. I made her a card (I know. That's something a child would do) but I hope this would help her think about forgiving me. Today is the day where we are going to talk and I won't go without having a conversation with her. 

She stopped by the two automatic sliding doors and drove off once I shut the car door. The security guard knew who I was so he made me a visitor pass and let me go. Once I got to the room, I knocked on the door and she looked at me. I walked into the room even if she isn't exchanging eye contact with me right now. I sat down in the same chair from my first visit and slowly handed her the folded piece of paper. "I made you a card." She looked down at where my hand was moving, took the paper and placed in on the tabletop to her nightstand. "Thanks", I heard her softly saying. She didn't even open it or read it. 

A few moments of silence and I decided to speak again. "We need to talk." I lay down the law. Lexi nodded her head in agreement. "First off, I had no idea you suffer from depression."

She raised her hands up in the air and told me, "Well, now you know. I'm laying down in a hospital bed with a nightgown on." Her arms collapsed to her sides. This is what I miss. 

I decided to continue on with my talk. "Second, my feelings towards you are strong. They're real." 

"I don't believe you", she flat out confessed. "You were so into the bet you made with your friend and plus, you kept it a secret from me but the entire school knew about it." 

"I'm not lying!" I yelled at her when I'm trying to make amends here. The room got quiet. She wrapped herself around her stomach, clenching onto the fabrics on her clothing. I gave it a few more minutes before continuing with this talk. 

"I don't know what to believe anymore", I heard her soft voice speak again. 

"So, talk to me, baby." I went closer to her and wipe the tears that were shedding from her eyelids. Her hand touched my wrist when she wanted to move it but her hold was still glued to me. 

"I told you to not fall in love with me." 

"I can't help how I feel about you. Please. Talk to me and get to know me better. The real me. Maybe you'll change your mind about me." The room was silenced but her mind must be running a marathon for all the thinking she's doing in her head.