Chapter 22: And There She Was

Mason Steele 

We finally arrived at the hospital. Her mom and I checked in at the front desk already, waited for the elevator door to open, and made our way over to her hospital room. When I walked in there, I saw machines hooked up to her, her eyes were closed, a breathing mask was hovered over by her mouth and nose. You could hear the beeping of the machine going off every few seconds. Scars were visible on her face/ There was dried blood was still showing on the skin. And I never noticed that she has marks on her whole left side of her arm. I was standing a few feet away from the bed. My body was paralyzed. I couldn't move. I was in complete shock. My arm was positioned to where it would look like I was thinking. My elbow resting on top of my other arm that was wrapped around my upset stomach, my hand covering my mouth from preventing myself to cry. How in the world did this happened? 

"Mason," her mother came standing behind me, rubbing my back. "She'll be okay. She's a strong girl." I covered my eyes and didn't want to see this. This is not happening. This is not real. I wanted to keep telling myself this to comfort me but we all know this is happening. This is real. A knock noise was made when it was a young nurse coming in, giving us an update and checking up on Lexi. 

"Lexi should be awake in a few hours, hopefully, once the medicine wares off. She has a broken arm, a few cracked ribs, and a few scars. The recovery will take  a while but, she'll be okay soon. And miss, the doctor wants to know information about her arm." 

"Thank you, nurse." Her mom thanked her for telling us updates. 

I slowly started to move. I moved the folding chair closer to her where she was laying down on her bed. Her eyes are shut tight. The beeping on the machines concern me every time it went off. I shed tears from my eyelids.  I turned my head away from looking at Lexi and turned my attention to her mom. "What happened?" I cried out, asking her. 

"Her depression was getting to her." 

"Why does she have scars on her arms?" 

"She used to hurt herself in the past."

"Why?"

"She used to get bully in school when she was growing up. Boys said awful things to her and she didn't know how to handle it by herself without telling me. I found out when I took her to therapy and her doctor told me she has depression and anxiety. Now, I'm more understanding about her feelings because she's also, shy and sensitive, I should of told her to take it easy on you and I just didn't want to see her get hurt." I saw that she was about to burst into tears before I started wiping my eyelids. 

"This is all my fault", I cried out, whispering, 

"No, it's not. Mason, you've been good to her." 

"No. No. No. You don't understand. I was under a lot of pressure, trying to keep my reputation with a stupid, stupid bet my friend and I made. She found out and I put her in the hospital." I put my elbows on my lap and put my head inside my hands that's cradled together. My leg shoots up and down, trying to calm myself down when I realized that her mom was rubbing my back comforting her. Then, I thought of an idea. "I'll be right back." 

"Where are you going, sweetie?" 

"To the gift shop. If she wakes up, tell her I'm here if she asks for me but I doubt that." 

"No problem. I'll try to talk to her." 

"Thank you." I got up and walked out of the room and down the maze in this place just to get to the gift shop. After a few elevator rides and getting lost in this maze, I found my destination. I got a small stuffed animal bear and a dozen roses that were wrapped up nicely. I finished paying for these merchandises and went back to find Lexi's room again. When I walked in there, Lexi was waking up. I slowly walked in the room with the stuff cradled in my arms. I placed it gently by the window. I can read her face. Her face is telling me that she is hurt, sad, confused, depressed, and most definitely mad at me. Her eyes don't want to meet up with my eyes but I guess I deserve that. 

"Hi, babe." I tried to make a conversation going with her but she gave me the silent treatment. The room filled with silence as I waited to find the right words to say again. Before I was even to speak again, a knocking noise was made when a young, nurse assistant came in the room. 

"Hey, Alexis, how are you feeling?" 

"I just woke up." She started to say in her sleepy voice. 

"The medicine is no longer affecting you. Is it okay if your mom is in the room while I talk to you guys?" 

"Yeah, sure." 

"What about the boy?" I saw her eyes moving to my direction along with Lexi's but her look was just a glance and she looked back, engaging in the conversation with the nurse. 

"No", she gave her first and final answer. I was hurt. I wanted to be in the room to know and to hear that she will be okay. I need to know if this is a temporary thing. I want to know that this will never again because I don't want to another repeat of this. 

"If you don't mind waiting in the hallway for a couple of minutes, that would be great." The nurse turns her attention towards me. One nasty look I made with her and I started to get up again, walking towards the door and shutting it on the way out. I stood next to the door with my back leaning on the wall, waiting for this little talk to be over with. 

Twenty minutes later and I'm still outside in the hallway, waiting for the door to open and hear the words, 'You can go in now'. I kept fiddling on my phone when I heard heels clicking and I looked up and saw my mom walking closer to me. She knelt down and asked me, "How is she doing?" 

"She just woke up from the medication but she didn't want me included with the conversation she's having with the nurse." 

"Maybe she just needs a girl talk or a psychologist doctor to help her in any way." 

"But I want to help her, Mom." I covered my face with my hands to hide the emotions that I'm feeling. My mom hugged me and shushed me; comforting me. I kept on crying and crying because it'll end on back on me. This is all my fault. 

"You know you did a stupid thing with your friend, right?" My mom furrow her eyebrows up at me. 

"Yes", I shyly answered her question.

"Lesson learn. Don't judge a book by it's cover." 

After talking to my mom a bit more while waiting to know if I can go back in or not, it's starting to  feel like I'll be waiting here for hours. It's like sitting in the waiting room for so long to hear your name being called for or not. My mom finally suggested that we should get going and eat dinner at home. I got up from sitting on the floor and walked next to my mom so we can eat dinner. Finally because I'm starving.