Chapter 4: Time To Start The Tutor Session

Alexis Winter

I heard my six year old brother, Austin, shouting, "Lexi! Someone is at the door!" I can hear his feet running around in the living room while I'm jogging down the stairs, telling my brother, "Okay. But you need to sit still." I tried to chase him around between the living room and kitchen, trying to catch him. Once I finally caught him, holding him around my arms, I motioned him to go on into the living room. "Did you do your homework?" I asked him.

"Yes. All I had to do was color a picture and write my numbers." Austin tells me what his assignment was. "Who is at the door?" The last thing I wanted him to ask me.

"A friend", I told a lie but he's six. He won't know the difference, right? "I have to help a friend out with homework."

"Maybe you should finish your homework, Lexi." Austin teases me.

"I will but you need to be a good boy and listen to me. Here", I handed him some toys that he left lying around on the floor. "Play with some toys and I'l throw on some cartoons you can watch before Mom and your dad comes home to make dinner. Can you be a good boy for a little while?" I asked him, hoping he will listen to me.

Austin nodded his head yes in silence. "Okay." I put the remote on top of the TV where he can't reach it before I walked towards the door to answer it. I started to unlock the doors, twist the knob to the right and opened the door. "Hi", Mason greets me.

"Hi" I said back. "Ready to start your lesson?"

"Yes I am", Mason says with a plaster grin that's glued on his face. I looked at him in disgust and with curiosity before opening the door a little bit more wider so Mason can come in. Once, Mason entered himself in, I shut the door behind him, locking the door. "So that's why I heard little footsteps running around in the house." Really, Mason? That's how you begin a conversation when I'm letting you inside my house. "Who is this cute little boy?" He walks over to the living room to see the little boy sitting still on the floor, watching TV.

"Mason, this is Austin, my little brother." I said, killing it with kindness. Again, why did I agree to tutor him?

"I didn't know you have a little brother." Mason points out to me.

"He was born when I was about ten years old. I was too young to remember what happened."

"Oh, okay."

"So, ready to get this lesson over and done with?" I went back to my old self towards him, asking him in a snotty way.

"Hold up!" Mason lifted his hands up in surrender. "I just walked in here and you're making it sound like you already want to kick me out."

"The sooner the better, right? Come on, let's go upstairs so I can start "helping you"." I lifted my fingers and did air quotes around the word, 'helping'.

"What the hell does that supposed to mean?" Mason doesn't sound too happy about that but with him, I can't tell if he's actually joking with me or if he's being serious right now.

"It means, I don't know. Hush up and let's go." I walked up the stairs and I can hear him following me. I stopped in the middle of the staircase to reassure my brother with something. "Let me know if you need something, Austin. Come upstairs if you need me, okay?"

"Okay", I heard him shout back. I continued to walk up the stairs until both my feet were flat on the ground and continue to move my feet so I can lead the way to show Mason where our tutoring session will take place.