Chapter 24: And The Truth Comes Out

Alexis Winter

"So talk", I finally said to Mason. "Talk about whatever you needed to talk to me about." How can I hold my eye contact with him after all that he has done to me? It burns just looking at him and sometimes I just want to put the fire out with my tears to stop the pain. The room was silenced yet, once again.

"I bet your mom told you that I had this past but I guess now would be the perfect time to tell you things." He folded his hands together, resting them on his laps with his back slouching towards me. I waited for him to speak. I looked over at the window and saw the flowers and a bear he placed there the other day.

"When I was six years old", Mason began to speak and the room wasn't so quiet anymore. "My dad cheated on my mom during their marriage. It was the day my mom picked me up from school after work and decided to go home and make dinner. She pulled into the garage and saw two cars sitting by our place.  Once she fiddled with the lock and key to open the door, she directed me to go play in the living room where I left my toys on the floor from earlier that day. My mom vanished and went upstairs to see what my dad was up to. Their bedroom door was shut but it was unlocked. She opened the door and saw my dad and another woman in bed together. My mom was furious and was yelling at my dad throughout the night. She didn't even want to sleep in that same bed together. So a year after that, they got a divorce and my dad ended up marrying the same woman he had sex with that night. After a few months later, my dad was a police officer. He was chasing after someone who robbed a bank and the guy bulleted him in the head. He passed away. My mom was devasted even though she still didn't like what he did to her but forgave him anyway. "

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know." I told him sympathetically.

"Thank you. It was tough growing up. My dad was my inspiration. I wanted to be like him. At the time, I was little so I thought whatever my dad did, I could do. When I got older, I was interested in girls and did what my father did. Break hearts. I broke up with this one girl, Emily. We had a nice relationship but I ended up using girls for my sexual pleasure. Probably that's what my dad needed when he cheated on my mom. And when Blake and I made the bet, it was more than just to try to make you go out with me. I wanted to do it with you. But after all of this and how strongly your hate towards me is, it wasn't worth it when I found out for myself that I really do have strong feelings towards you."

My body was frozen after he's been telling me a story about his past. I really do feel bad for him but I wish he didn't make me feel like I'm everyone else. What he did wasn't right. I'm trying to find the right words to say but I need him to know how I am and the kind of person I am.

"I mean I understand but just because you did it to everyone else doesn't mean you have to do it to me."

"I know. I'm such an idiot. I should've told you earlier."

"You think?" I jokingly told him in a serious tone.

"Is there anything I can do for you? I'm asking for forgiveness."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know." I fanned myself to avoid tears coming. Mason got up from his seat and leaned closer to me, wrapping himself into me while engaging in giving me a hug. I couldn't help but enjoy this nice hug I'm receiving so I wrapped my one hand behind his back and held it there in place, in sync with this contact.

THE END