Chapter 15: I'm An Idiot

Mason Steele

I met with a couple of my friends by the lockers in the hallway. The dance was a few weeks in October and Lexi's birthday just passed in December. My friends finally came around which felt like hours just standing here like a lonely boy. We shook hands and high five each other before getting to have a real discussion.

"Mason, where have you been? My brother, how's it going between you and her?" Blake asks me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I can't even tell how it's going. I was nice to her after I ditched her at the dance. I even did my best to make her have fun on her birthday but she still feels uncomfortable."

"She'll get used to it. Girls will dig you if you keep up with that whole romance shit." Drew came across a good point.

"How long has it been now?" Blake questions.

"About a month, close to two, maybe."

"I thought it was a little bit more than that. I mean, the dance was almost three months ago." Drew mentions.

"Bro, she's got you wrapped around your finger and you don't even know it." Blake teases.

I smacked Blake on the arm and he winced. "Shut up, man."

"Speaking of. Here comes your girl now." Blake continues on with his game.

I saw Lexi walking down the hallway. She smiled a bit at me but it's not that full smile. Her back was faced towards me but she never paid attention to me after. A girl that I've never seen before coming walking over to Lexi's locker. She walks in fast paced and held onto her shoulder and her back hit her locker.

"You really think Mason is going to be with you for a long time?"

"Huh?" I heard Lexi saying.

"Don't act so innocent. Everyone knows you and Mason are a thing. Knowing Mason, he's not your type at all. He's probably using you or wanting to get something from you and this entire school thought you're a smart nerd." She pops her bubble gum in her mouth and twirls her hair like a baddie but there's no way I could step in now. Everyone will think I'm defending her or won't believe me because of this reputation I have on this school.
        "To be fair, I do like him." Lexi confessed.
    "I don't know why he would. Your glasses are too big, you wear sweaters all the time or long sleeve clothing, your hide your ugly face behind your books... Should I continue?" Her evil smile appears on her face that stretches across to her cheeks and the whole school decided to crowd around us, laughing at my girlfriend.
      Lexi looks over at me with tears filling in her eyelids. I didn't acknowledge her, I didn't chase after her. I just crossed my arms above my chest and just played it cool by leaning against my locker. Her eyes dropped as she wipes her face with her sleeve and walked away. The laughter continues on before the bell rang and everyone magically disappear just like that.
        The girl comes over by me, doing the same gestures she did as if that's her way of flirting and comes over to me, pushing her body up against mine.
       "So what do you say? You and me this weekend? My parents are out of town and I've heard you're really good." She smirks and roams her hand all over my upper body, slides her fingers down my biceps, and curls them on the loops of my jeans where a belt would go.
      "I can't." I truthfully told her.
        "Well, when you break up with her and I advised you to do it soon. Hit me up." She gave me a folded piece of paper and walked away. Her hips are swaying as she circles her purse in the air.
        Blake and Drew looked at me with confusion and I shook my head.
       "Dude, if you don't win this bet and don't go make a move on that chick, I will." Blake confessed.
       "We could do a threesome, Blake", Drew hollered out that idea of his.
       I walked away and headed out the door.
    "It's a joke, man."
      "Come back, Mason." I ignored them as I continue to go find Lexi and see if she's okay.