part XLVI

*mitchel's pov*

i watched clinton's figure stride away and i looked at the ceiling, unsure of what to do next. laralyn and i hadn't been alone since that day four months ago, when i told her i never wanted to be in her life again.

it wasn't the truth, i had known that back then. the actual truth was that i had always been wrapped around her finger. as much as i tried to move on with other women, it was always in the back of my mind how they didn't feel like laralyn.

they didn't have the same giggle, or the same soft skin, or they didn't fit into my t shirts quite as well as she could. these women simply weren't enough for me.

i hasn't realized i had been staring at the ceiling for at least three minutes until her angelic voice broke me out of it.

"i'm not sure what the ceiling has that's so interesting, but i would love to find out," she giggled.

i looked back at her, a smirk tugging on the corner of my lips. "forgive me love, i was just in my thoughts. everything clinton said is a lot to process, don't you think?"

i watched her draw back a bit, her deep brown eyes flash towards the floor as she uncomfortably coughed. "uh, yeah, it is."

"laralyn..." i sighed. "i fucked up just as bad as you did. don't you see that? i can tell how much you're blaming yourself for this right now, and that's the last thing i want you to do."

she shook her head, frustration overcoming her perfect features. "no mitchel, you didn't. maybe we both fucked up after the breakup, but i fucked up before that. i fucked up in the relationship. i...i cheated on you," she said, shame hiding in her features.

i let out a sigh and looked down also for a moment. "i'm not trying to condone the cheating, but you were high off of some possibly laced stuff. sure, cheating is cheating, but...i've forgiven that."

"i'm not saying i've always forgiven that lara. cause i haven't. truth be told, it hasn't been forgiven for the longest time. i've been absolutely broken by the thought of you cheating on me with another man. i've been so angry, so depressed, just an absolute mess. but when i made the mistake of sleeping with jessie, i understood. i understood the way guilt was probably consuming you, and i saw how even when you love someone more than anything, you can still mess up in major ways," i breathed out.

she looked at me for a moment, biting her lip. "can i hug you?"

i let out a small laugh, studying her. "of course babe."

she leaned in, and i gladly wrapped my arms around her torso, breathing in her familiar perfume. even though it had been four months since i last had her in my arms, it felt like we never skipped a beat. her head on my shoulder, her arms loosely slung around me as i rubbed small circles on her back.

i felt so content here, i felt absolutely safe. i didn't worry who i was going to be sleeping with tomorrow, what club i was going to go out to. i was just worried about laralyn, and if she would be okay.

i know what you're thinking. it's probably an absolutely stupid choice to ever consider taking her back. she did cheat on me and sleep with my best friend.

but i loved this woman. i loved how strong she was, though she may not believe it. i loved how when she woke up, she would stretch out and complain about the sunlight, as if it was her first time seeing it. i loved how when we got snow cones, she would mix the same three flavors and was too scared to try anything else. i loved how when i made her laugh exceptionally hard, her nose would scrunch up in the cutest way possible. i loved how she would drag me out onto my balcony at every sunset, eager to watch the sky streak with colors as if she could never get enough of it.

i love this woman.

she finally pulled back from the hug and let out a content sigh. "you know mitchel, we don't have to be anything. sure, i would love to be with you again, that seems to be the only thing i can think about sometimes. but no matter what, i just want you in my life. in some way, shape, or form. maybe as a best friend, maybe as a girlfriend, maybe as the person you drunk text every weekend. but i just don't want to live a life where mitchel cave isn't involved in it."

i smiled at her words. i could see the sincerity in her heart, i could see how much she cared for me. she absolutely sucked at showing it sometimes, but she did.

"i agree. i can't explain it, but i have this weird feeling that we met for a reason. i know you don't believe all the superstitious bullshit i preach at you, but we met for a reason. maybe it was to teach me a lesson, which i'm not sure how. maybe it was for me to find true love, which i absolutely believe. but either way, you were meant to come to that club the same night i came. your friend was meant to be interested in me, and i was destined to have a spark come along in my life one day anyway. what i didn't know was that my spark would be named laralyn creed."

she giggled, a melodic giggle that sounded like heaven to my ears. making her laugh had always been my favorite pastime. i watched her nose scrunch up in my favorite way, and it was almost sickening how much i would love to replay that moment forever and ever.

"laralyn, do you believe in soulmates?"

________

i really loved writing this chapter. i hope u guys enjoy it!! 💗💗 i'm very happy that they are talking again, and i'm very happy i got this far in my book honestly lmaooo. please leave me some lovely comments and feedback🥀