~Chapter 2~

"AAAAH!!" a scream of fear leaves your lips. You wake up panting, trying to recover from the nightmare you just had. You had been getting a lot of them lately, and you usually got them when you felt like something bad was about to happen. These nightmares were the worst, they were from your parents and their deaths, you were about 15 years old when you lost them. You were already best friends with Bucky and Steve, but you got much closer to them after their deaths because they helped you through it like no one else did.

You try to sit up, leaning on your elbows, as your chest kept rising and falling from your heavy breathing. You look at the clock on your nightstand, and it indicated 2am. Suddenly, a knock on the door scares you, and you turn your head towards it, scared of who might be behind it. Then you remember. Right, Bucky's here. .

"Come in." you say, as you sit up properly this time. Bucky opens the door and leans against the side of the doorframe and crosses his arms in front of his chest. "Can't sleep?" you ask.

"No, but I heard you scream and I got worried." he says, tilting his head. "Another nightmare?" he asks. You just nod looking down with sad and tired eyes. He looks at you with compassion, as he makes his way to your bed and sits down at the edge. You get rid of the blanket, crawl over to him with tears in your eyes and pull him into a tight hug, as you sink your face into his chest and let the tears fall down your cheeks.

"I miss them." you say between sobs. Bucky runs his hand through your hair in a soothing way and kisses the top of your head. It had been ten years since you lost them, but the wound was still there like it happened yesterday, and you felt like you were never going to get over it.

"Shhh, it's alright." Bucky whispers, trying to make you feel better.

"Can you stay with me for the rest of the night?" you pull out of the hug to look into his beautiful eyes, and he wipes the tears away from your cheeks.

"Of course, doll." he says with a sweet smile, and your heart melts when he calls you that. You lie on the bed and Bucky does the same next to you. You turn towards him, and he pulls you close to him. You rest your head and your hands on his chest. He puts one hand on your waist and rests his head on yours, breathing in your scent, the one he loved so much. You were letting your feelings for him get the best of you, but you didn't care, you're too tired to think straight right now, so you quickly fall asleep in Bucky's arms. He takes a little longer to sleep, appreciating how close you two were right now, making him feel like the luckiest man alive. He wasn't sure what he was feeling right now. Lately, he started feeling nervous every time he was with you, and he felt a void in his heart when you weren't with him. He wasn't trying to deny his feelings, he just wasn't sure what they meant, so he kept going out with other girls, trying to forget about his feelings for you. But now, he just wanted to stay with you like this forever.

The next morning you woke up to find a strong arm wrapped around your waist, and when you remembered who it was, a smile formed in your face. You stayed awake like that for a few minutes but you knew you had to get up, so you tried to get rid of his grip.

"Hmmmm." you hear Buck groan as you try to get up.

"Come on, Buck. I have to get up." you say, and he just tightens his grip pulling you closer to him. His actions make you blush, but thankfully he can't see your face cause he's still half asleep.

"But it's Saturday and you don't work on Saturdays." he says with a husky and deep morning voice.

"I know, but I promised Peggy I would still go help her today. It's been a very busy week." you say. He sighs and lets you go. "Are you gonna stay here all day?" you ask with an amused look as you walk towards the door. Bucky just groans as he moves around the bed, and you chuckle. "Okay, you can stay here. I'll be back in the evening with Steve, don't break anything while I'm gone." you warn playfully.

The rest of the day goes by fine. You are working on some paper work along with Peggy for Project Rebirth when you see Dr. Erskine walking inside your office.

"Good evening Ms. y/l/n." he says, taking a seat in front of your desk.

"Good evening Dr. Erskine." you greet while organizing some papers.

"I wanted to talk to you about something important." he says, and you look up with a questioning look. "I heard about your fight yesterday, I was impressed to hear that you almost took out the strong bully." he says, and your eyes widen at how fast word spread.

"Well, he was beating up my best friend. I had to do something." you say, acting as if it was not important.

"Not everyone has the same will power as you when it comes to sacrificing yourself for others." he says. "Look, I'm going to get straight to the point. You know how we need to find volunteers to try the Serum when it's finished, right?" he asks, and you nod raising an eyebrow, starting to guess where this conversation was going. "Well, I was wondering if you would like to be the first one to try it." when he says that, your jaw drops in surprise, shocked at his request.

"Uh- why- I don't have any interest in becoming a super soldier, let alone join the army." you lie with a worried look on your face. "Besides, I would not be strong enough to survive the injection."

"I don't think that's entirely true, y/n. I knew this was going to come as a shock to you, and the serum isn't finished yet, so take your time to reflect on your decision. You know where to find me." he says as he stands up and leaves your office. He leaves you completely in shock, as your heart is racing extremely fast. This would be what you've always wanted, to become someone you've only dreamed of being, but at the same time, it scared you. This would change your life forever, and you weren't ready for that. Peggy interrupts your thoughts as she enters your office.

"What did he tell you? You look like you've seen a ghost!" she says with her amazing British accent, leaving a pile of papers on your desk.

"Nothing." you lie.

"Yeah, sure..." she says, knowing that something was up, but she knew you well enough to know when to stop insisting about something you didn't want to talk about. "It's already 3pm, you can leave. Thank you so much for helping me out today." she says. You stand up and grab your purse.

"Of course, Peg, anytime." you say, hugging her. "I'll see you on Monday." you smile and start exiting. You picked Steve up along the way to your house, being excited to see Bucky again, who was supposedly waiting for you at your apartment.

You and Steve finally get to your apartment, and you go inside as you head to your bedroom to see if Bucky is still there, since he's not in the living room. You find your room empty with the bed made and a note on top of your pillow. You pick it up and read it.

Hey, y/n/n. I had to take off because I forgot I had a date. Sorry, I hope we can all hang out together soon.

- Bucky.

Your heart breaks a little bit when you read the note. That's exactly why you didn't want to admit your feelings for him. Every time it seemed like you two started getting closer in a romantic way, he went out with other girls or suddenly became distant for a while. You walk out of your bedroom, and sit on the couch with a sigh which catches Steve's attention, still holding the note in your hands and staring at it. Steve sits down beside you, and reads the note.

"Do you have feelings for him?" Steve asks and your eyes widen at his straight forward question.

"How- What- No! I don't! Stop asking that! He's our best friend. I'm just upset because we were going to spend the evening together, but he had to go on another date. I don't have feelings for him." you say nervously. Steve smiles at you, as if he knew exactly what was going on.

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that..." he whispers to himself.