~Chapter 10~

"Up, y/n! Come on!" Peggy wakes you up and you groan.

"Ugh, what time is it?"

"5am." she answers.

"Are you kidding?!" you groan again, starting to get out of bed. "Is it gonna be like this every day?"

"Yes, so get used to it." Peggy says. "Now, stop whining and get up!"

You and Peggy finish getting ready and you start heading towards the location of a group of soldiers you were going to supervise. Peggy leads you throughout the army camp and you take in everything you see. For some reason you feel like you should be here, like this is your place. You can start seeing the group of soldiers in the distance, but as you get closer one of them catches your attention. He was small and skinny and looked just like Steve from behind. You shake that small possibility out of your head and keep walking towards the soldiers. However, when you go around them and face them, your face drops.

"No..." you mutter when you see Steve standing between the soldiers and wearing an army uniform. When Steve sees you his eyes widen and you know he knows you're mad when he sees you narrowing your eyes at him. As much as you wanna yell at him and vent out how much you disapprove of him being here, you have to stand by next to Peggy and follow along.

"Recruits, attention!" Peggy calls out. "Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter and this is Agent y/l/n. We supervise all operations for this division." she says and you nod while looking around the soldiers, trying to hold yourself back from showing your emotions and distracting yourself from the fact that Steve was in the US army camp. However, as soon as you could have a moment in private with him he would have to explain himself.

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army." one of the soldiers says, and just like that he's already gotten on your bad side.

"What's your name, soldier?" Peggy asks in a firm tone, completely unbothered by his behaviour. You really admired that about her.

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty." he answers with a smirk.

"Step forward, Hodge." Peggy orders, and he does as she says, still with that cheeky smirk on his face. "Put your right foot forward."

"Mmm... We gonna wrestle? Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like." Hodge says with a wink at the end. Just when he finishes saying that, Peggy punches him hard in the face, making him fall back. You try to hide your amused look and you chuckle lowly at how Peggy handled the situation like a badass.

"Anyone else got anything to say?" you ask intimidatingly and the recruits all shake their heads. A few seconds later a car drives up and a man you recognize due to his importance steps out.

"Agent Carter, Agent y/l/n." he says as he walks towards you.

"Colonel Phillips." Peggy says.

"I see you're breaking in the candidates. That's good!" he tells Peggy. "Get your ass up out of that dirt and stand in that line at attention 'til somebody comes and tells you what to do." he says referring to Hodge.

"Yes, sir." Hodge says and quickly gets back up as Colonel Phillips starts addressing the army recruits.

"General Patton has said that wars are fought with weapons but they are won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best men..." he trails off when he sees Steve and you raise an eyebrow before he keeps walking. "And because they're gonna get better, much better. The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an Allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But every army starts with one man. At the end of this week we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers. And they will personally escort Adolf Hitler to the gates of Hell."