~Chapter 26~

One of the things you never would have imagined was SHIELD trying to arrest you, forcing you and Steve to be on the run. SHIELD had become your home for the past two years, and you had never thought of any other place. That's why you were so worried. Where would you and Steve go now? Even though that question kept making its way to your thoughts, you put it to the back of your head and focused on your main concern right now: getting the flash drive back and finding out what was on it.

After Steve and you changed into casual clothes, you wore a cap and sunglasses while Steve just put a hoodie over his head. You and Steve had to be careful that no one recognized you since SHIELD had eyes and ears everywhere. Once you were done with that, you went back to the hospital and walked around until you found the vending machine where you hid the drive. A chill of fear ran down your spine when you couldn't find it in the place you left it. Before you and Steve can go looking for it, you see the reflection of a familiar face on the glass of the machine. The redhead blows a bubble with her gum before popping it while looking at you. Natasha. That's when you realize she took it. Suddenly, Steve grabs Natasha before taking her inside a room and pushing her harshly against the wall.

"Steve!" you say, following them into the room. Steve was grabbing Natasha's arms tightly, their faces just a breath away from each other as an angry expression covered Steve's features.

"Where is it?" Steve asks through gritted teeth.

"Safe." Natasha says.

"Come on, Nat." you intervene, as you lean against a table in the room. "Cooperate, and don't make things worse."

She looks at you before her eyes land back on Steve. "Where did you get it?"

"Why would I tell you?" Steve asks back.

"Fury gave it to you, why?" Natasha asks.

"What's on it?" Steve asks, the angry tension in the room increasing by the second, and seeing your two best friends argue like this doesn't make it any better.

"I don't know." Nat says.

"Stop lying!" Steve says, shaking her harshly, making you flinch.

"Steve-"

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers." Natasha says.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve asks, calming down a little bit.

"Well it makes sense." Nat says. "The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

"Nat, don't make this any harder." you say, stepping towards them. "Where is it?"

"I know who killed Fury." she says. Your eyes widen a little bit as you pay close attention to her next words.

"You're talking about the man with the metal arm?" you ask and she nods slowly.

"Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier." she says. "He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

"So he's a ghost story." Steve says.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." she explains before pulling her shirt up a little bit to reveal a scar on the side of her stomach. "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." Steve says and you can see a hint of a smile from Natasha.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried." Natasha says before holding up the flash drive. "Like you said, he's a ghost story."