~Chapter 32~

You were curled up on the floor against your bedroom door as tears rolled down your cheeks when someone knocked on your door.

"Who is it?" you ask hoarsely, lifting up your head momentarily from your knees where it was hiding.

"It's Sam." you hear him say from behind the door. "We're ready to go, just waiting for you."

"I'll be right down." you say and you hear Sam's footsteps getting quieter as he walks away from your door.

You groan as you stand up, straightening up your slightly sore back from sitting down in an uncomfortable position for so long. You walk around your dark room and grab your suitcase before heading outside, where a quinjet was waiting for you.

It had been three days since Steve told you that Peggy passed away. The news managed to get to you more than you had expected. Peggy had been your main emotional support and comfort zone for almost your entire life. Even though your relationship with her has been different over these five years in the 21st century, they feel like nothing compared to how many years you spent together back in the 20th century. That was what was hurting you the most, the realization that you could never relive all those years with her. When you came out of the ice, Peggy was already old, but you never made sense of the fact that all those years were completely lost because at least she was still here. She was alive. But now that she's completely gone... it all has changed.
Today was her funeral and you, Sam, and Steve were flying over to London to attend her service. You knew the accords were also being signed today, and you were still debating whether to sign them or not. To be honest, you hadn't thought much about it, given the situation....

Sorrowful looks shoot in your direction the second you walk outside where the team is waiting to say goodbye to the three of you. You did your best to look like you hadn't been crying, but the team didn't need to see your puffy eyes to know that. The fact that you had only come out of your bedroom for food these past three days, was enough for them to know this wasn't being easy for you. Besides, all of them knew who Peggy was to you. However, you weren't sure if they knew who she was to Steve, since he never really opened up about her.

You hug Rhodey first, then Wanda, telling her to be strong and reminding her once again that what happened in Lagos was an accident and that she couldn't keep beating herself up about it. Then you hug Tony.

"Stay strong." he tells you as you hug. "You always have me if you need to talk. You know that, right?" he smiles as he pulls out of the hug.

"Yeah..." you chuckle softly.

"Are you gonna give your best friend a hug or what?" Natasha asks, raising an eyebrow as she walks towards you with her arms open. You gladly pull her into a tight hug, closing your eyes for a second and trying to keep your feelings at bay.

"Everything's gonna be okay." Natasha whispers before pulling out of the hug. "Now, go. They're waiting for you." she says, nodding her head towards the quinjet where Sam and Steve are. You smile at her before turning around and walking inside the quinjet.

You were silent during the entire trip, too lost in your head to say anything. Besides, you and Steve were both feeling devastated, and you felt like you didn't even have energy to speak.

~•~

The service was beautiful. That's how you would describe it. Every person who was close to Peggy and who gave a speech had been able to transmit every good thing about her, and really highlight all her accomplishments and amazing qualities. You teared up a few times during the ceremony but you managed to control your emotions for the most part. One of the people who spoke really surprised you. It was the blonde agent who was assigned by Fury to spy on you and Steve two years ago. You knew her as Sharon, or Agent 13, but you never got her last name, and when she gave her speech at the service, she revealed that she was in fact, Peggy's great niece.
After the service you talked to her to find out exactly where she came from and found out that you didn't share the same blood since your mother and Peggy's mother were sisters and Sharon came from Peggy's father's side of the family. So technically, you weren't related by blood.