~Chapter 19~

"Romanoff. Natasha Romanoff." she says while shaking your hand.

"Y/n y/l/n." you say, shaking her hand back.

"I know." she smirks before turning to Fury.

"The reason I wanted you to meet Romanoff was because she is our best agent, the world's deadliest spy. So I thought she could train you, plus she would be a great guide for you to introduce you to the 21st century." Fury says.

"Oh, I'm not a spy." you chuckle while shaking your head.

"I know." Fury says. "But you have outstanding espionage and stealth abilities." he says before turning towards Romanoff. "Looks like you might have some competition."

"We'll have to see about that." she smirks.

"What about Steve?" you ask.

"He's also good at it, but let's just say that your body is smaller than his, making you a much better choice for the job." he says."You're not having second thoughts about working for SHIELD, are you?" Fury asks.

"No, sir."

"Good." he says. "Anyway, Romanoff will be with you for most part of the day, and whenever she's on a mission, Hill will take over."

"I don't need a babysitter." you say, crossing your arms over your chest and furrowing your eyebrows slightly.

"At ease, soldier." Fury says, patting your shoulder and you raise an eyebrow at him. "This is only temporary before you also start going on missions along with Rogers. Now get outta here and get some sleep."

You and Agent Romanoff step out of his office before he shuts the door behind you.

"Come on, I'll walk you to your room." the redhead says.

"There's no need, Agent Romanoff. I can go there by myself." you say.

"I know." she shrugs. "And please, call me Nat, we're gonna be coworkers now." she starts walking and you quickly catch up to her.

"So, how long have you been in SHIELD?" you ask, trying to make conversation and trying to get to know her more. You didn't know what it was but there was something about her that sparked your curiosity and pulled you towards her.

"For a long time now." she chuckles as she takes confident steps. "When Fury found me, he brought me in and offered me a home here in SHIELD, something I never really had..."

"A home?" you ask and she nods.

"Yeah." she says, her eyes showing a glimpse of sadness that would be missed by most people but you're quick enough to see it before she gains control of her emotions again. "But my past is a story for another time." she says, and you take a mental note of the fact that she's not really the sharing type. "Anyway, how's your first week here going?"

"Not easy." you sigh. "But I'm sure it will get better."

"I'm sorry." she says as you reach your room.

"About what exactly?" you chuckle.

"About everything, to be honest. Must be hard going through all that and waking up almost seventy years later." she says and you raise an eyebrow at her straight forward statement.

"Geez, thanks for being so obvious." you chuckle.

"You and Rogers are pretty much war legends nowadays, especially inside the intelligence community." she says. "So don't be surprised if someone asks you for a selfie every once in a while."

"What's a selfie?" you ask with a confused look on your face.

"Right." Natasha says before reaching for something in her back pocket. She grabs her phone and clicks on the camera icon. Then she brings her phone up and you see yourself on the phone's screen before she snaps a picture. "That's a selfie."