~Chapter 41~

As the morning light starts to slowly reach your closed eyelids, it triggers you consciousness and soon after your brain starts fighting the heavy layers of sleep until your eyes finally flutter open. The moment you open them, the bright light hits them directly, making you snap them close again and scrunch your nose in discomfort. You let out a yawn before reaching for the other side of the bed, expecting to find a strong and muscular body next to you, but when you feel the empty mattress, you notice nobody's there, making you quickly open your eyes again. The realization that Bucky isn't there wakes you up completely and you sit up to scan the empty room. You look to where Bucky had been sleeping in not too long ago and find a small paper on top of his pillow, making you frown in confusion as you reach for it and start reading it.

Hey doll, thank you so much for last night and for everything else. I know I shouldn't say goodbye like this but I couldn't tell you in person because I knew the words wouldn't come out. It's easier this way. I'm going back into cryo for as long as I need until they can find a way to get this stuff out of my mind. It's whats best for everybody, for you, even if you might not see it that way right now. Again, I'm sorry for telling you like this, but we'll see each other again very soon.

As you finish reading, panic and anxiety settles in your body. Who knows how long it's been since he left and who knows if he's already in cryo? You quickly drop the note back on the pillow before bolting out of the bed. You sloppily secure the bath robe around your body as you leave the room and start heading towards the palaces medical facility as fast as you can, not caring about your appearance at the moment. If Bucky was still here maybe you could convince him to stay and not do it, but you had to hurry. You know he didn't want to tell you in person because he knew you'd try to convince him to stay with you, but it still hurt.

After running as fast as you can, you finally get to the medical facility. A few nurses try getting in your way, asking if you had permission to be there, but you ignore them and push past them. You bust through a door and it slides open when it detects you, hoping to find Bucky, and lucky for you, he's there. But Steve and T'Challa are also there. So, he told Steve about this and not me? Bucky is sitting on a table while Steve is talking to him. You angrily walk towards them, and when they see you their eyes widen in surprise.

"Y/n what-"

"I found your note." you tell Bucky, cutting Steve off. "Were you seriously going to leave without saying goodbye?"

"I did say goodbye." Bucky says.

"Oh, come on." you scoff.

"Let's give them some space." Steve tells TChalla, and seconds later, them and the other nurses leave the room, leaving you and Bucky alone. You don't break the intense eye contact with Bucky as everyone leaves.

"Y/n-"

"Stop." you cut Bucky off before taking a deep breath. "I meant every single thing I said last night, did you not believe me when I said we could get through this together?"

"No, of course I did." Bucky sighs before slowly reaching for your hand and intertwining his fingers with yours, his eyes locked on your hands while the small gesture sent butterflies to your stomach, and you wanted nothing more than to kill them right now, before his eyes find yours again.

"Then what changed?" you ask, your anger slowly turning into sadness.

"I did." he says. "Last night I realized how dangerous I really am even without the metal arm or Hydra controlling me. I don't wanna put you or anyone else at risk."

"What happened last night was an accident, I told you I was fine. We'll be careful and it won't happen again, you'll see. Just please stay." you plead.