~Chapter 17~

The world seemed to have moved on. The war kept going. But your wound was still fresh. It has only been a week since Bucky's death, and it has been the most painful week you've ever had to go through. Steve, Peggy, and Colonel Phillips gave you as much time as they could for you to heal, but you didn't know if you actually made any progress. You know you can't keep hiding away at the headquarters and that eventually you're gonna have to get back to work to win this horrible war.
So that's exactly what you do. You get up from your bed, you wash your face, brush your hair, you put your army uniform on until you look somewhat presentable and emotionally composed. You sigh as you look at yourself in the mirror, trying to fake your best smile, but without controlling it, a tear slides down your cheek.

"Dammit." you mumble as you wipe it away. "Come on, y/n, you can do this." you tell yourself. You take Bucky's necklace out of your shirt and open it to see the picture of the two of you. "For you."
Once you feel ready enough, you leave your room and head down to the main briefing room of the headquarters. As you walk there, people turn to look at you when you walk past them. Everybody knew about who Bucky was to you, and they were surprised to see you there since no one had seen or heard of you in a week except the closest to you. But you honestly couldn't care less about what people thought and you didn't want them to pity you. You had a job to do, and you were determined to finish it.
Once you get closer, you start hearing Colonel Phillip's strong voice in the distance.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bug house. He thinks he's a god." you hear the Colonel say in the distance. "He's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities. He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire eastern sea board in an hour." Howard says as you round a corner to find the Howling Commandos, Steve, Peggy, and other people sitting around a table with maps and tools on it. The second you see them and you come into view, they all stop talking and turn to look at the new presence in the room, surprised to see you. Your eyes meet Peggy's and then Steve's. You nod at Colonel Phillips, who nods back, before you sit next to Steve. A few seconds later, they resume the conversation.

"How much time we got?" Gabe Jones asks.

"According to my new best friend, under twenty four hours." Colonel Phillips answers.

"Where is he now?" Steve asks as you listen attentively to the conversation, starting to come up with a plan in your head at the same time

"Hydra's last base is here." the Colonel says while pointing at a spot on a map he was holding. "In the Alps. Five hundred feet below the surface."

"So, what are we supposed to do?" Jim Morita asks. "I mean, it's not like we can just knock on the front door." everyone stays silent for a few seconds before you speak up for the first time.

"Why not?" you say and all heads turn to look at you. They were still surprised that you had shown up, but now they were even more surprised that you even spoke up. "That's exactly what we're gonna do."

-

The plan was easy. You and Steve had to pretend to fight Hydra until you got captured, and that's when the rest of the team was supposed to come into play.
As you get your gear ready after putting your suit on, Peggy walks up to you.

"You sure you're up for this?" she asks as she also prepares her stuff and loads her gun.

"What am I supposed to do if not this? I can't keep crying in my room all day." you say. "Besides, I know this is what Bucky would've wanted me to do. So I'm fighting for him... and for America, of course." you say and flash her that fake smile you had been practicing.