Chapter Thirty Four - Late Nights

Peter sat on the floor in front of the wardrobe staring at it. It was in the middle of the night, the moon light being the only light in the room. He took in a deep breath letting it out slowly as he looked down sadly. It's been a week and all he wanted to do was to go back to Narnia. They all did, Susan has already accepted that they weren't going back anytime soon. Edmund was just thankful that Penny had come back with him, he sees how much this is hurting Peter and happy he doesn't have to go through that. Lucy was sad but she didn't show people just how sad she truly was, she kept a smile on her face and tried to cheer up her brother. Sometimes it worked but only for a little while.

"It's not easy is it?" Peter turned around quickly looking at the Professor as he tiredly walked in with two folding chairs. "Living in Narnia for so long and coming back without your family" Peter sighed standing up taking a chair from him and they sat besides each other facing the wardrobe. Digory lit up his pipe relaxing in the chair besides the young boy.

"I can't stop thinking about them, how long has it been? We were gone for 10 years in Narnia but it was only minutes here. It's been a week, who knows how long it's been there" He said sounding helpless. "It could be years, decades.. centuries" He whispered. "My son, I don't even know if I'm having another boy or girl, I left before they were born" He said.

"You didn't mean to leave Peter, you are king of Narnia, sooner or later they will call you back" Digory said and Peter looked at him.

"They never called you back" He said bitterly but Digory didn't mind. He understood what he was going through and didn't take his harsh tone personally.

"They didn't need me, they had Elizabeth. I wasn't a king when I left, you were. They're going to need their king back, you just cannot give up hope" Digory said and Peter looked down sighing slowly.

"What else can I do? I can't just sit here and wait" Peter said looking back up.

"You take care of the family that are here with you now." Digory said looking at him. "You need to look after them, when the time comes they will call you back" He said and Peter grew agitated. "Every night for 3 years I came in this room and tried to go back to Narnia. Narnia had become more of a home than this old place. However, no matter what I did, no matter how much I pleaded and begged I was never allowed back in. Peter, Narnia isn't going to let you back in just because you were king, they aren't going to let you back no matter how many times you ask, you have to trust that when Narnia needs you they will call for you" He said.

"I'm not worried about Narnia Professor, they have the best Queen looking after them" Peter said with a smile thinking about her. "What I'm worried about it Elizabeth, Nathan, my other child" He said. "I'm worried about them"

"I know son, I know." Digory said standing up slowly. "I'm an old man and as much as it pains me, I've accepted that I am not going to return to Narnia. Don't give up easy Peter, it took me 10 years until I finally learned to just accept it. Don't be as quick as your sister, don't give up hope" Peter nodded as the Professor left the room and he looked back at the wardrobe standing up walking towards it slowly. He pressed his forehead against his closing his eyes.

"I'm so sorry Elizabeth" He whispered quietly. "I hope that you will forgive me someday" He whispered before slowly backing away looking at the wardrobe sadly, he wanted to cry but knew he wouldn't let himself. There was still hope and as long as he held onto that hope he would not allow himself to cry. He knew one day he would reunite himself with his family, he just didn't know when.