Chapter Thirty Seven - Letter

"I don't suppose you have any matches in there do you?" Peter questioned as they stood in front of a large door. Peter had taken it upon himself to take lead and rip off a piece of his shirt and wrap it around a stick as if to make a torch.

"No" Edmund told his brother looking in his back smirking slightly as he found something that could be a little more useful than matches. "But would this help?" He questioned lifting up his flashlight. Everyone smiled more relieved than they should have been about the flashlight. Everyone had been so worried and on edge that even something like this was enough to just get them to relax a little bit.

"You might've mentioned that a bit sooner" Peter said smiling widely as Edmund walked in first with Penny following right behind. The other siblings followed in closely as Edmund lit the way. They walked down the steps and their eyes widened when they saw 5 chests all around the room. They all knew which one was which and walked to theirs. None of them seemed to notice that there wasn't one for Elizabeth as they were to engrossed in the curiosity of what might be in their chest. "I can't believe it, it's all still here" He muttered lowly.

"I was so tall" Lucy said taking out a dress that is now a couple of sizes too big.

"Well, you were older then" Susan told her sister smiling. Penny opened her chest and smiled seeing all of her old stuff. She slowly bent down picking up an old photo she used to always carry with her of her old family, when they were all young and had no idea there was a magical kingdom in the wardrobe.

Peter was the last to open his chest, fear of what might be inside caused him to be hesitant. However, if he wished to find his family then he must look inside, he must see if there are any clues as to...anything really. Anything that could help him find where they are. The first thing that caught his attention was a letter signed to him. He recognized the hand writing automatically.

He looked at it as some silly fantasy filled his head. He thought if he opened the letter she would magically appear and everything would be back to normal. Cair Paravel wouldn't be in ruins when they walked out. Narnians would be filling the streets. His children young and full of life. He sighed and shook the fantasy away slowly picking up the letter opening it.

My Beloved Peter,

I know not if you will ever read this, I know not if you are still alive in the other world or if I will be alive when and if you return. I can only hope and pray that fate will bring us together in the future. I miss you, all of you. I want nothing more than to be with you, in your arms. I write this letter because it brings me comfort. It comforts me that one day this letter might be in your hands and it comforts me that if one day you do return and I am no longer there to guide you then you will still have a piece of me to carry with you so that you will not forget me. Today I finally accepted Aslan's plan though I do not fully understand it, which is not surprising. Even as a lion he can be very tricky with hidden meanings. I accept that I will not see you for a very long time, if ever. I will not be able to raise our children with you. I will not be able to do a lot with you and the others and it pains me to think about how much you will miss. However, for the sake of Narnia I must move forward no matter how much it pains my heart. I must continue to lead our people and raise our children because I have fait that this is what you would do if the roles were reversed. I have ordered that all of your belongings, including Penny's and the others be put in a safe place so that no matter what happens to me or Cair Paravel your stuff will be safe. So that if you return you will have weapons to protect yourself and clothing to blend in if need be. I love you Peter, I don't think I'll ever be able to fully heal the wound you and the others have given me. As crazy as it sounds I am thankful for the pain, it reminds me of how real everything was. I will look after Narnia for you, I will lead them in the right direction and protect them until I draw my last breath. I hope I don't fail you, that is the last thing I want. If you do return Peter then I hope it is on happy terms but knowing Aslan I do doubt it. Narnia has been changing ever since you lot left, I warn you to be careful as I do not know how it will be when you all return. Stay close together and come find me or find the Narnians. You will never understand their loyalty to the Kings and Queens Narnia. No matter what happens Peter you will always have Narnians who will be loyal to you, you just have to find them. If you find them and I am still alive that is where you'll find me. I promise you Peter if you find the Narnians you will find me or heaven forbid how and when I died. Peter, I know I am not with you now but I have no doubt that even if I am not with the Narnians our children will be. Find them Peter, they need you. I love you and I pray that you are somewhere safe.
~With Love, Elizabeth

"Peter" Penny said snapping him away from the letter as he finished it.

"It's from Elizabeth" He told them and she walked over grabbing it from him. He looked back at the chest feeling even more connected to it knowing Elizabeth was the one who put it here. "She knew" He said. "She knew something bad was going to happen, she knew something as going to happen to the Narnians and to Cair Paravel." He said. "She wanted us to be prepared"

"For what exactly?" Edmund asked walking over to Penny.

"She doesn't say" Penny said finishing the letter. "I'm not even sure if she knew what she was afraid of." She said as Peter picked up his sword.

"When Aslan bears his teeth, winter meets its death" He said reading off from the sword.

"And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again" Lucy said sadly making everyone look at her. "Everyone we knew..Mr. Tumnus and the Beavers... they're all gone" She whispered trying not to cry. He shielded his sword wrapping it around his waste.

"I think it's time we found out what's going on" He said. "Grab your weapons, Elizabeth said Narnia has changed but we don't know how much. We just need to find whatever is left of the Narnians because if we find the Narnians then we find Elizabeth and Nathan" Peter said to them confidently.

"Here" Penny said giving him the letter. Peter looked at her before gently taking it. "Keep it safe" She said and he nodded putting it in a safe place. When they were all ready they left wanting to find Elizabeth as soon as possible.