Chapter Forty Eight - Lucy and Maria

"Elizabeth" She looked over at Peter who motioned for her to follow him. She nodded walking over to him and we walked outside before sitting down on the rock wall. Elizabeth grabbed his hand as she laid my head on his shoulder as she remembered just how much she had missed him. She smiled as she felt him kissing the top of her head leaving his lips there for a moment before resting his chin on top of her head. "Not a day went by that I didn't miss you" He whispered and she closed her eyes just taking in his presence.

"I've been in war for so long, i forget what peace feels like" She whispered opening her eyes.

"Without you, I knew no peace" He whispered. "You were my every thought and in every dream" He told her making her smile a little bit. They stayed like that for a little bit before he broke the silence. "I want to send Lucy out to find Aslan" Elizabeth lifted her head forcing Peter to move his to look at her.

"You what?" She asked him. "Peter, Aslan hasn't given us any aid for hundreds of years, what makes you think that he'll show up now? Not to mention there's hundreds of Telmarine's out there to hurt her. She wont be able to protect herself" She said getting worried for her close friend.

"Elizabeth, when we were on our way here she told us multiple times that she had seen Aslan. Maybe she's the key to bringing him back and he's our only chance to bring this war to an end and live in peace. I have faith that Lucy will find him and bring him to our aid" He told her and she looked at him worriedly. "I know you've been in war for so long without his help, but I think this is a necessary risk" He told her.

"And what does Lucy think?" She asked him.

"She's willing to try, but I wanted to talk to you about it first" He said and she looked at him satisfied that he came to her before making the decision. She looked down before nodding agreeing with him. To end this long war they're going to have to take risks that they're not comfortable with.

"Alright, fine" She agreed and he smiled at her a little bit relieved that they were able to agree.

"Cakes and Kettledrums... That's your next big plan?" Peter and Elizabeth, along with everyone else in the room looked at the angry dwarf. "Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!" He snapped.

"It's our only chance" Elizabeth told him knowing that no matter what this dwarf thought it still wouldn't change their decision.

"And she won't be alone" Maria said with her bows and arrows. Both Elizabeth and Peter looked at their daughter not wanting her to go into the forest but knew it was necessary. Elizabeth had faith in Maria's training to keep both her and Lucy safe. Elizabeth ignored all of the pointless banter that came after as she looked down at the map.

She knew that if Lucy didn't find Aslan then their deaths were almost guaranteed. To meet Miraz in open battle like this is crazy, he'll have the advantage, the numbers, the weapons. She wondered if all these years in war have just mad her bat-shit crazy to do something like this.

"We're going to have to buy them some time" She spoke as they started disperse. Peter looked at his wife. "We need to keep their attention on us for as long as possible if Lucy and Maria have a chance to find Aslan" She said and he nodded agreeing.

"That's why I'm sending Ed over to arrange a single combat between Miraz and I" Elizabeth's head snapped over to her husband with wide eyes.

"You're doing what?" She asked him.

"I'm challenging Miraz to give Lucy and Maria as much time as we can" He said and she glared at him.

"Are you insane?"

"I'm doing what I think is right, I'm keeping everyone safe."

"Everyone but yourself, right?" She snapped glaring at him. He sighed as she walked off before looking at Nathan.

"You knew she wasn't going to like the idea" He said and Peter nodded.

"I know, but it has to be done" He said. "This way we can avoid an all out war and save lives on both sides"

"And You expect Miraz to keep his side of the bargain?" Nathan asked raising an eye brow.

"No, which is where you come in." Nathan looked at him. "I need you to stay with the army and be ready to lead if something happens, if something doesn't turn out right" He said and Nathan nodded. "Susan and Penny will be with the Archers, Lucy and Maria in the woods, Caspian will be with you. Your mother, Edmund, and I will be at the dual." Peter said to himself and Nathan nodded.

"Looks like you have it all sorted" Nathan said.

"Now if only things will go according to plan" Peter muttered.