16┃Alexa

Alexa walked into the house feeling Jackson's eyes on her. She closed the door without looking at him and leaned against it. She slowly slipped and sat down at the bottom as a tear slipped out of her eye and made it way down her cheek.

She had gone through so many deaths. Losses of close ones but it was the ones that leave you but are still around that hurt the most.

         "Alexa?" She heard Jacob ask.

She looked up at him. She rubbed my tears off her cheek with the jacket knowing damn well that her mascara was probably all over her face.

         "Hey." He said softly as he sat down beside her and draped an arm around. "What's wrong?"

         "Nothing. I'm fine." She replied. "How's your stomach? You just got shot. Shouldn't you be taking rest?"

         "I'm fine." He replied. Alexa wasn't taking no for an answer.

She got up and pulled him up and dragged him to his room.

         "Sleep." She ordered.

         "Alexa c'mon." He said making a puppy dog face.

She pointed at the bed not replying.

         "God, you're annoying." He said settling down on the bed. Alexa pulled up the quilt to his chest.

         "If you don't sleep and begin to roam around--" she said sitting down on the edge of the bed beside him. "--Then I will take you off the case and take Chris with me instead."

         "How would you know?"

         "Cause I'm friends with the monsters under your bed." She replied.

She smiled at him sweetly as he tried to figure out if she was joking about taking him off the mission.

         "Fine." He grumbled. "Christina called when you were gone. She is at the hospital. They took whats-his-name into surgery."

         "Stephen." She corrected.

         "You should go stay with her," Jacob suggested.

         "You just got shot." She replied. "She'll understand that I'm taking care of you."

He reached for her palm. "Alexa, you know you can talk to me right? I know we're trained not to trust people, but you can't keep it bottled up forever."

She didn't reply but she didn't snatch my hand away either.

         "Is it about Jackson? Did he say something?" He asked.

         "What makes you--" she started.

         "--think I'm going to tell you?" Jacob finished for me.

They chuckled at that.

         "You know what. I can rest later. Let's go get some ice cream." He said getting up. She pushed his chest back on to the bed.

         "You're not going anywhere." She said sternly.

         "Okay. Fine. But there should be ice cream in the fridge downstairs. At least get that." He said.

She pulled her hand from him and went downstairs.

         "How's he?" A voice behind her said.

Alexa didn't flinch as she grabbed two bowls, spoons and the half empty ice cream box from the fridge.

         "He's resting." She replied.

Christopher nodded his head. "I checked the apartment. It looks like a cheap motel from the outside but inside its a bloody bungalow. Only the two kids live there. Their father lives somewhere else. Trying to track him down."

         "I know," Alexa replied.

Christopher raised an eyebrow.

         "We stayed there yesterday. The kids invited us over." Alexa explained.

Chris nodded. "I also checked up on the Fale delivery. You know the thing that you kept from me?"

She kept a straight face as she sat down on the table opposite to him.

         "Ice cream?" She offered.

         "He wasn't at the delivery. It took place and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I informed the border police that they should do the checking more thoroughly but even if they get caught, there's no pinning it on Jonathan." He went on.

Alexa scooped at spoon full of ice cream and pushed it into her mouth. 

         "You want to tell me why I wasn't involved in the planning?" Chris asked through gritted teeth.

She took her time taking the spoon from my mouth.

         "You want to tell me why you've been seeing Marion every day for the past week?" She asked back.

         "How do you know?" He asked taken back.

         "I have my ways." She replied.

         "What's the big deal if I meet Marion," Chris asked crossing his arms across his chest.

Alexa scooped another spoon of ice cream. "You know damn well that agents aren't supposed to meet with Marion or any other authority figure when we are undercover. What surprised me more is the fact that Marion didn't stop you. Which meant she really wanted to know what was going on here. And why would she? She knows a job given to me is basically a job well done. Then what's the big deal?"

Instead of replying, Christopher got up and walked out of the house. She leaned back on her chair and twirled the spoon with her fingers.

         "ALEXA?" Jacob called from upstairs.

         "COMING." She yelled back.

Just then her phone rang. 

Ryder

         "What." She said picking up.

         "You need to come here quick." I heard Ryder's voice. She sounded scared.

         "Ryder. What's wrong?" Alexa asked sitting up.

         "It's Marion. She was shot."  She heard sniffles from her side.

         "I don't think she's going to make it."

✘✘✘24-1-19||A/N||- One more

✘✘✘
24-1-19
||A/N||- One more. Hope you liked it. Thanks to everyone who added this book to your reading list. It really helps.
Vote and comment!