9┃Alexa

"Cᴀɴ I ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴋᴇᴛᴄʜᴜᴘ ᴘᴀᴄᴋᴇᴛ?"

         "What were you thinking? Goddamit!" The middle-aged woman standing in front of her yelled while she scuttled about trying to find the bandages and tweezers. She banged open the drawers in the room leaving a mess everywhere she walked.

         "It's not my fault, woman!" The man in the room yelled back. Throwing her some of the bandages as he pressed the remaining on her shoulder to prevent the bleeding.

They pushed each other in the small room trying to beat each other in doing the same thing. Alexa silently looked at them as they turned to look at her.

         "Why isn't she crying?" The woman said.

         "She should be, shouldn't she?" The man replied fixing his crooked glasses.

She looked back at both of them, her eyes wide and unblinking.

         "Get the bullet out." The woman muttered. "Do it now!"

The man didn't argue. He used the tweezers to pull out a flat crooked piece of metal out of her shoulder.

         "That's only a part." He observed. "The other part isn't in her shoulder."

Just then the woman glanced down at her black shirt. She wiped her hand on it and placed it palm front. It was covered with a red, sticky liquid.

         "No.no.no.no." The man muttered still not letting go of the bandages on her shoulder. Alexa watched silent and emotionless as the woman slowly slumped onto a plastic chair in front of them.

The man had tears in his eyes.

         "Get yourself together, Marcus. You have a job to do right now." She said her voice strained, glancing at the kid in front of her.

The man nodded as he placed more bandages on her shoulder.

         "Baby." The woman called out to me. Alexa looked in her direction as the man continued to work on my arm. "I might not be around for long, but I need you to know, that I'll always protect you. Nothing bad is ever going to happen to you. Trust me."

         "Maria. Please." The man cried, his cheek wet with tears. She watched as the woman's eyes slowly closed and her head fell back.
The man softly sobbed as he continued to work on the rest of her wounds.

         "ALEXA BLACK." a voice made her jump back to the present. She quickly served the car and brought it to a stop on the side of the road.

         "Holy." Jacob took a deep breath. "I thought that you were going to ram us straight into that truck."

Alexa ignored him as she tried to steady her breathing.
That woman, she was her mother. Foster mother. She found out about it from Marion seven years later, after her foster father jumped off a cliff and she was sent back to foster care.

         "Alexa?" He asked concerned. Her hands were gripped hard on the steering wheel. This memory hadn't come to her for years. She didn't understand why she had to relieve it.

         "Alexa?" Jacob poked her.

         "I'm fine." She replied backing away from his touch.

         "No. You're not." He said. "Let me drive."

Alexa simply looked at him. He was right and she knew it. She almost got him killed. What was going on? She was the same woman who had taken down eleven guys on her own with nothing but a smoke bomb and three knives.