31┃Alexa

Alexa tapped her spoon on her plate to fill the void of silence. Unlike the other nights, Jacob and Chris were completely silent. Jacob, because of Jackson and Chris, because of the incidents at the club.

She continued to eat, eyeing them for any signs of change in expression. Chris wasn't even slurping his noodles in.

      "Fine!" She exclaimed. "I should have asked you about Jackson and I should have let you follow me to the club! But I'm fine now and Jackson's not staying in the house! Can you guys act normal?"

Jacob looked at her with her eyebrows raised. Chris did the same.

Chris turned to Jacob. "Truce?"

      "Yeah," Jacob replied curtly.

      "What?" Alexa asked confused.

      "We had a bet to see who could last the longest without speaking," Chris explained. Alexa let out a sigh. Boys.

      "I'm done." She said as she got up to leave the kitchen.

      "I'm glad you agree about the following thing though," Chris said as she was walking out.

      "Oh shut up!"

      "No swearing!" Chris yelled from the kitchen.

Alexa walked back towards the kitchen and popped her head inside. "Right. Sorry. My fucking bad." Jacob pressed his lips together to hide his laughter. "Anyway, how is your girlfriend,  whatshername, Cindy? Clarke?"

      "She moved. I mean, her only job here was to get close to me. She did that. So she's gone." Chris replied.

      "Sorry about that. I know you liked her." Jacob muttered.

      "Meh. I can always find another girl who likes me for me. Or I'll just die alone, I'm sure it's just underrated." He muttered.

      "You can be buried beside me," Alexa muttered. Both their heads shot up so fast, she was afraid they were going to fly out.

      "Wow. Really? But how will they know where to bury me, it's not like we know your real name." Chris asked.

      "When I'm dead, you'll all know my real name. I'm not going to have children so the only people who might be tortured will be my mom, who by all means, do torture." She replied as the doorbell rang. Jacob began to get up. "I'll get it."

Ignoring his wary look, Alexa opened the front door and let Jackson in.

      "Hey, guys." He greeted as he leaned on the wall inside the kitchen.

      "Now that you're all here, I have some news," Alexa said as she jumped onto the counter beside Jackson. "I'm leaving the agency after this mission."

Alexa could feel Jackson turn his head to look at her but she just looked down. "Going to go to a different country, different name, a different life. I'll be eighteen by then so I can basically live a normal life on my own."

      "Marion won't let you," Jackson argued. "You're her best agent. There is no way she is just letting you walk away."

      "There is nothing that can keep me here anymore. Sorry."

Jacob didn't say anything. He simply got up, washed his hands and left the room. Jackson smacked his lips. "That's nice to hear." He muttered and then walked out of the house.

Alexa pressed her lips together. "You're not going to leave too?" She asked Chris.

Chris placed his fork down and looked up at her. "Well, my food is here so..."

Alexa laughed as Chris smiled. "Also," he said getting up and walking to her. "I support the decision wholeheartedly. You deserve this. You deserve to have a life where you don't have to keep an eye out for snipers." He took her hand in his. "I only hope you have a place for your Godfather in this life."

Alexa smiled as she pulled him into a hug. "I love you. But you know that's not happening."

Chris laughed into her shoulder. "I know... maybe just for Christmas?"

Alexa chuckled. "Okay...just Christmas."

      "And Easter?"

      "I'm going to cancel Christmas," Alexa replied.

      "Okay...okay...no Easter. Just Christmas." Chris said pulling away and walking back to his food. "While we are having this amazing conversation about life, I really think you should go talk to Jacob."

Alexa opened her mouth to protest but Chris cut her off. "Listen to me, when you thought I killed your father, he was the guy you called first. No one else from the agency. Him. When Jackson said something to hurt you, he was the one who comforted you. Not anyone in the agency. Him. When he was lying in the bed after the shooting, you were the one who made sure he rested. You guys love each other more than you think. And when you don't tell him about the changes you're making in the mission, I'm pretty sure it hurts."

Alexa didn't reply as he just stared at her. After a while, she just flicked him off and left the kitchen. She groaned as she couldn't come up with an argument to prove him wrong. Letting out a sigh she climbed up the stairs and knocked on Jacob's room.

      "Cover up everything that needs to be covered. I'm coming in." She said as she walked in to find the room empty. "Jacob?"

Jacob walked out of the bathroom, his mouth full of toothpaste foam. "What?" He mumbled.

      "I need to talk to you about something but hold on." Alexa started as she opened her phone into the camera app behind her back and quickly bought it to the front of clicked pics as Jacob ran into the bathroom.

She heard him spit the foam out and then walked out of the room drying his hands with a towel. "I hate you."

      "I think we cleared this already. You love me...and so does Chris." She said showing him her chats with Chris where she sent the picture. Chris had replied with at least twenty hearts. Of all colours.

Jacob rolled his eyes. "You said you wanted to talk about something."

      "Right," Alexa said switching off her phone. "I was thinking we could go out for ice cream."

      "I just brushed my teeth," Jacob whined as he sat down on his bed.

      "Not asking you to eat," Alexa replied.

      "Fine. What the hell. We're all going to die in this mission anyway. Might as well have ice cream now." Jacob said as he put on his jacket.

      "Milady." He opened the door and waved her ahead.

      "Man, you would have been a weird prince," Alexa commented as she walked out.

      "You mean one with manners?"

      "Exactly. How many of those do you find?"

✘✘✘20-4-19Quick updates from now on

✘✘✘
20-4-19
Quick updates from now on.
Hopefully, I'll finish the book within two months. I already have another in the works. Nobody told me that writing stories would be addicting. Damn.