Chapter 4

I sat beside Ivar in The Great Hall on the corner of the table with Ubbe on my other side

I sat beside Ivar in The Great Hall on the corner of the table with Ubbe on my other side. Aslaug sat at the head of the table and Hvitserk and Sigurd sat opposite us on the other side.

Aslaug and I had learned to get along. I had nothing against the woman, though I never felt as though I could trust her. She was fond of me as I'd taken so kindly to her youngest son, whom everyone could tell she favored but no one else seemed to care for all that much.

"So, Signy, will you be joining our brother on his plans to travel to the Mediterranean. I know that Floki and Helga are going too." Ubbe questioned, his voice kind and gentle. I smiled and gave a small shrug.

"I'm not sure I'd be much use on a raid." I chuckled slightly.

"Hey, don't worry, I'll look after you." Hvitserk winked, making me laugh a little. Everyone knew that the third oldest son, Hvitserk Ragnarsson, was a notorious womanizer. He would often flirt shamelessly with pretty much any woman who came near. Though we enjoyed to joke, it was nothing more than that between Hvitserk and I. I was friends with him and Ubbe as we'd grown up together. The flirting from Hvitserk was just engrained in his personality. This didn't, however, stop Ivar from getting annoyed every time that Hvitserk did this. He sat there scowling at his older brother, frown set on his face as he folded his arms like a child. I nudged him slightly and gave him a warm smile which seemed to relax him just a little.

"So, will any of you be joining Bjorn?" I questioned. "Other than Hvitserk, I mean."

"Ubbe and I are staying to look after Kattegat." Sigurd answered and I nodded understandingly.

"What about you?" I turned to Ivar, who once again was frowning.

"Bjorn and mother have agreed that I can't go." He answered sullenly.

I furrowed my brows - by now, other conversations were going on around us and the other brothers and Aslaug were not listening to our quite conversation - before speaking again, "Why?"

"Because, in case you'd forgotten, I'm a cripple. My legs don't work. They think I'll die if ever I leave." He pouted.

I smiled before whispering in his ear, "Well, I think you could beat all of them in a fight."

Ivar looked at me with a smile before we rejoined the conversation. I laughed with the brothers for a while before I took my leave, saying goodnight to each of them. I walked outside. Where the sun had once stood, the moon now shone again. My eyes drifted over the dark sky, taking a deep breath. My thoughts were interrupted, however, when I heard a loud scream. I followed the screams, frantically running through the streets with mud covering the bottom of my dress, my heart sunk when I reached the epicenter of the ungodly noises. Kari's home. Without a thought, I ran inside, not scared for my own safety. At this point, I was only thinking of my sister. I could not lose her. I couldn't.

"Signy!" She ran to me, tears soaking my crystal white dress as she held me tightly. Four huge men came from her previous direction and towered over me, Kari's mother not far behind them.

"What is going on here?" I questioned, my eyes narrowed on the people before me as I held my sister tightly in my protective embrace.

"Mother! Tell her what you've done!" Kari cried, still holding onto me for her life.

Turin cleared her throat, her brown eyes full of guilt, "I was gambling with some people whom I should never have doubted. The Gods were, after all in their favor. I was so sure of myself at the time... I bet Kari's hand in marriage on it."

I shook my head in disbelief, disgusted by the woman before me, "How could you do such a thing?"

"Our earl wants his payment." One of the men growled.

"And if she refuses?" I squinted at them, my grip on my sister still strong.

"Then Turin will die and Kari will be taken as a slave." Another muscular man spoke up, his eyes bloodthirsty as he twirled an axe in his hand.

I sighed, giving Kari a gentle squeeze in my arms. I cupped her face in my hands to get her to look up at me. "I love you." I smiled sadly, kissing her cheek gently.

"Signy, what are you doi-" before she could finish, I had turned to the men to speak again, cutting her off.

"I am Kari's sister, Signy. Tell your Earl that he will be taking me instead. I will meet you by the docks in one week's time for you to collect your payment."

Kari and Turin both gasped, their eyes wide with shock.

"Signy! No! You can't do that!" Kari cried but was cut off once again by one of the men speaking.

"And how do we know that you will not ambush us when we come to collect?" They spoke again.

"And risk my sister? I love her more than life itself. Do we have a deal or not?" I growled back, my voice low and my eyes cold.

"We will tell our Earl of your offer. Until next time, ladies." They each bowed before leaving. I rolled my eyes at their gesture before turning to my sister. Her blonde hair was a mess and her blue eyes red from the tears.

"Are you alright?" I asked gently, my hand placed upon her cheek.

"Signy, you can't do this. Can't you ask Ivar for help?" She looked up at me, her eyes filled with worry.

"Ivar's help will include killing everyone. That will start a war. I will not allow any unnecessary bloodshed. You are my sister, Kari. For you, I would do anything. I will be alright, don't worry for me, I can look after myself. Now, are you okay?" I spoke calmly, my voice not portraying any emotions.

"I'm fine, thanks to you." She smiled. I gently took off my cloak and wrapped it around her.

"What are you doing?" Turin questioned, her voice demanding and rude. I looked at her, my eyes cold. Most people would think that firey eyes is what one should be afraid of. They were wrong. I was void of all emotion, calculating every step with a clear head as my eyes penetrated her soul with an intense glare.

"If you think I'm letting her stay here with you, then your even more of a fool than I thought. And if you ever pull this shít with her again... Don't think I won't find out from wherever the Hel I'm being sent to. Not even death will stop me from finding you and ripping every bone from your body if you ever treat her like your property again." I glared, my eyes never leaving hers. She looked up at me with terror in her eyes. Without another word, a smile reached my lips as I gave a small bow, "Have a good evening, Turin."

I quickly escorted Kari from the hut, my cloak wrapped around her. The next question, where could she stay.

You'd think that after selling yourself to some world you didn't know, being forced into marriage to save your sisters life, one would be upset. They would cry, they'd break down, emotions would flood them. Not I. Not yet at least. I couldn't. I couldn't focus on my own emotions when Kari needed protecting. Perhaps later I could weep or really begin to feel the emotions that followed what was happening. Not yet, though. I couldn't. I had more important matters to attend to.