Chapter 17

Ivar had gone back to his hut after the sacrifice had finished and I continued to drink and talk with other warriors and leaders that would be accompanying us on this voyage

Ivar had gone back to his hut after the sacrifice had finished and I continued to drink and talk with other warriors and leaders that would be accompanying us on this voyage. After a while, I'd decided to leave. I wasn't tired and I knew that any chance of me sleeping to night was very very slim. How could I sleep when we embarked on such a journey in the morrow? It was far too thrilling. However, I had grown tired of the Great Hall so I decided to join Ivar. I knew that I was going to need rest so it was probably a good idea to try.
When I walked inside, I gently pressed the door closed behind me as to not wake Ivar. However, I was unaware that he too could not find it within him to sleep on such an evening.

I gently removed my boots and got into bed, my arms wrapping around Ivar as I did.

"Having fun?" Ivar chuckled, clearly able to tell by the way I'd stumbled around that I wasn't the most sober I could be.

"I am now." I grinned, pressing kisses along his shoulder. Ivar turned to face me, his eyes almost glowing in the darkness.

"Are you ready to leave in the morning?" He questioned, brushing my dark hair out of my face.

"More than I've ever been. I cannot wait to face our enemies on the battlefield." I answered, the excitement clear in my voice.

"Our enemies?" He wondered, looking at me with an amused grin.
I smirked, leaning in and pressing kisses and bites along his neck, earning small moans from him. "Your enemies are my enemies. And I will kill our enemies and bathe in their blood because I love you." I looked up at him, biting my lower lip gently. "And because it's fun."

The two of us shared a long and passionate kiss before slowly managing to fall asleep in each other's arms.

The next morning, I awoke to Ivar pulling on his armour. My eyes raked over his body, watching his muscles tense under the weight of his heavy armour. I smirked, silently admiring him as he began strapping on his leg braces.
"You know, I really could get used to waking up next to you every morning." I smiled, my messy hair falling over my tired face as Ivar turned around to face me.

"You know, you should already be up and commanding your army." Ivar replied with a grin.

I playfully faked a betrayed expression, raising my hand to my chest overdramatically, "So eager to get rid of me!"

Ivar leaned over to whisper something in my ear. For a moment, I thought it would be something sweet and comforting. However, as he pulled closer, he just shrugged, "I suppose that's just the price of being a Queen." I hit his arm with a chuckle before moving out of the bed. I slowly undid the long dress that I'd fallen asleep in the floor, letting it pool at my feet before stepping out of it. Ivar just stared at me, gulping as his eyes wandered over my body.
"You know, prince, it's rude to stare." I gave a mishevious grin before pulling on some more comfortable clothes and my boots. I then sat on the side the bed, doing up my armour so my body was protected and leather clad. "Shall we go?" I grinned as Ivar still stared at me in shock. He soon shook it off and nodded, leaning on a crutch so that we could walk out side by side. "And what exactly will your brothers think of us leaving your hut together?" I mused.

"Honestly, Signy, I do not care." He answered, his arm wrapping around my waist as we walked. We made our way over to the huge mass of boats that had travelled from all across Scandinavia to help avenge the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok.

"Signy! Ivar! You took your time." Bjorn called over. We continued to walk over, Ivar holding onto his crutch for dear life as we did.
When we finally made our way over, I noticed my sister climbing into one of the boats.

"Kari? What are you doing?" I questioned, my voice stern as I looked to the young blonde before me.

"I'm leaving for England, like you." She answered honestly.

"No you are not." I replied flatly.

"Well, sister, that is not up to you." She reported defiantly.

I turned to see Ubbe who wore an amused look. "Ubbe, please control your wife."

"That isn't exactly easy." He chuckled, climbing into the boat with my sister.

"Ivar, please control your girlfriend." My sister mimicked making me tense up.

"I am not getting in a boat with her." I sighed angrily before storming off to my troops, leaving all the sons of Ragnar to prepare themselves for the oncoming battle.

The journey was long and arduous. I sailed in my own boat, away from my friends, and led my crew. Every now and then I would look over to the other boats and have little conversations with Hvitserk through the wave of our hands. It made me laugh as he tried desperately to tell me things but I simply could not understand. It eventually made him laugh too.

After a while, I just took to staring out into the sea. My thoughts began running away with me as my blue eyes watched the ocean that matched them in all their splender. I'd always liked the ocean. The ocean could be calm and inviting, it creates life and it guides people. However, one could never tame the ocean. The ocean was free and would often sway around in a comfortable laze. But just as much as it swayed, it would storm. The ocean didn't give a fuck who it was hurting or what it was destroying. It just did what it wanted, wherever it wanted. It was wild and ferocious.

That was something that I'd come to understand better than anyone.