Chapter 29

It was a beautiful day when, finally, we arrived at York

It was a beautiful day when, finally, we arrived at York. The town appeared to be bustling, seeming completely unaware of its northern guests that stood high upon the hillside. I leaned up against a tall tree, watching from a distance as the three brothers discussed their plan.

In all honesty, it seemed a shame to waste such a day on death and battles. Though I'd always been a good warrior, I'd never much enjoyed it. Peace always seemed a preferable alternative to me. Perhaps that's because I was afraid of enjoying it, afraid of what would happen if I let my true nature show.

I brushed aside my worries when my sister walked over. Her hair was loose over her shoulders, a few gentle braids here and there. She wore a red tunic and, for the first time in my life, I believe I saw her wearing trousers. It was an uncommon occurrence for my sister to dress in such away. However, since I'd granted her the opportunity of fighting alongside us, here she was.

"What do you think they're saying?" She asked curiously.

I shrugged, "Strategies."

"Shouldn't you be over there?" She inquired.

I smiled at my thoughtful sister, placing my hand gently in her own, "I wouldn't be much use. Besides, I trust Ivar to come up with something."

"I know." She grinned back at me.

At that moment, Ubbe and Hvitserk stood up and approached us. I stood, arms folded, expectantly awaiting an answer. It was something I'd learned to do as a leader. Usually, I was patient and kind. But you learn to put others second to your own needs in such a role.

"Well?" I raised a brow at the brothers.

"We're waiting for their next Saints day." Uber shrugged.

Kari pouted, visibly disappointed that she wasn't going to be able to fight today. I, on the other hand, was trying my hardest to conceal my relief.

"Which is when?" I questioned.

"That's what we're going to find out." Hvitserk replied, giving me a small grin that I couldn't help but reciprocate. The brothers left, Kari trailing along behind shortly after. Meanwhile, Ivar remained staring out at the large city before us.

I walked over to him, his concentration never moving from the sight before him. I knew he knew someone was approaching him and I assumed by the fact he didn't turn to glare at the intruder that he knew it was me.

When I was a girl, Helga had always taught me so many lessons. One that stuck with me the most is something she always repeated to me when I asked her about her and Floki. She told me that some people get stuck, stuck in the darkness and the misery of the world. It's so awful that they can't seem to find a way out of the darkness and it consumes them whole, turning them into a monster. She said that, for as long as we are in the light, it's our duty to become the light for someone else. It's our duty to help them out of the darkness, to show them that there is still good in this world. For as long as I could remember, all I'd wanted to do was to be Ivar's light. But now I seemed less and less like his light. Now it seemed more like we were both drowning in the darkness and nothing could get us out.

"Are you alright?" I asked, sitting beside him in the grass.

Finally, he tore his ocean eyes away from the city in the distance. He looked at me for a moment, and then again his gaze moved back to York. "Be careful... When we fight." He said.

"I always am." I smiled back. Still the young Prince didn't seem convinced, a frown set in stone upon his face. "Ivar," I began gently, "What's wrong?"

When next he looked at me, his upset features had completely dissipated. "Nothing." He shrugged before disappearing in the direction of his brothers, leaving me utterly dazed and confused in the long green hillside grass.

That night, there was a sacrifice. Two English boys that the brothers had found. This appeared to be Ivar's idea and, in all honesty, I was too shocked to argue. Instead, I sat with Uber and my sister trying to avoid watching the scene that unfolded before us.

In the last year, I'd done things that I never thought myself capable of doing. I'd done so many damn things. But killing children? It just didn't sit right with me.

Despite this, I pushed aside my worries. It was Ivar, after all. He may be angry but he'd never been a bad person and I trusted him implicitly. Perhaps I should've questioned him or tried to stop him. I just didn't see what was happening to the man I loved, be it because I was too blind or because I was simply ignoring it. All I knew was that I would stand by him. It's all I'd ever done.

Y'all I am SO sorry. I've been meaning to update for AGES and I've been soooooo lazy. Again, thank you all for the support. We're nearly at 20k reads which is CRAZY. I'm so sorry for the inactivity, I've been so busy lately and just haven't had the energy to update. But it's the end of my week off and I decided to update. I'm hoping to get more regular updates done for this book so hopefully there will be lots more soon!!! Thanks for baring with me, I appreciate it.

Love you all xxxxx

-Rhiannon

(p.s feel free to comment what y'all think is gonna happen, I'm interested XP)