Chapter 23

"Signy, where are you going?" A voice called out. Sigurd. As Sigurd and I were the same age, we'd gotten along well most out lives. When we were children we would always play together as Hvitserk and Ubbe were older than us and Ivar always stayed away from other children. However, I soon began remaining inside to talk to Ivar instead of going out to play with the other children my age. And next we all knew, we were adults. And I wasn't sat with Sigurd as my closest friend anymore, but with Ivar. Ivar the brother that Sigurd had always hated most.

"What do you want, Sigurd?" I rolled my eyes, stopping in my tracks to allow him to catch up.

"I just wondered where you were going." He shrugged but, before I could answer, he was speaking again, "Let me guess, you're going to see Ivar."

"Why does it matter so much to you?" I questioned, becoming increasingly annoyed at the entire situation. Usually I would never behave like this. I had always been known as taking after Helga in being patient and mild mannered. But I wasn't like Helga. I wasn't sweet and gentle like her or my sister. And, with Helga's recent passing, my nerves were on edge. My usually patient demeanor was smothered in rage. Burning rage.

"It matters if the rumors are true and you're sleeping with my little brother." He answered. I only glared at his response, not in the mood for his jabs. "Of course your not because, well, Ivar can't even please a woman."

"Sigurd, have you come here to say anything important or do you just need someone to listen to you torture Ivar?" I sighed, staring at him with my cold blue orbs.

The boy stopped for a moment before beginning again, this time sounding more sincere than before. "He doesn't deserve you, Signy. He's a cripple and he's insane! You deserve better!" He answered finally.

"I can make my own mistakes." I replied, my face slightly softer than before. I turned to leave but soon found the fourth son of Ragnar stood in front of me again.

"What is it that Ivar can give you? Why do you choose him?" His voice was raised and for a moment I was certain that nearly everyone in the settlement had heard us.

"Get out of my way, Sigurd. I'm not in the mood." I spoke, my voice low and menacing.

"No." He answered stubbornly.

I glared at the boy before me, seeing total red. "Last chance, move." I roared in a quiet but threatening tone.

"Or what?" He grinned smugly, certain that I wouldn't do anything. I never had before. I had always remained calm and patient with each of them. But I dragged him away from those thoughts when I sent him crashing to the ground with my sword pressed against the boys throat.

"Or I will break every bone in your body. Understood?" I yelled, loud enough for everyone in the settlement to hear. Loud enough for the three oldest sons to come running over. They all stared at the sight before them, totally shocked by my outburst. I sheathed my sword, still looking at Sigurd in the eyes. "Next time, I will not stop before the blade enters your throat."

With that, I walked away. All of the brothers gathered around in shock as they watched me walk away.

"What in Hel was that?" Hvitserk questioned.

"I have no clue." Sigurd answered, all of them staring after me.