Chapter 21

I sat upon a tall wooden chair, invisible crown perched atop my head

I sat upon a tall wooden chair, invisible crown perched atop my head. Ivar and Bjorn had gone to scout the area to find a suitable battleground. I was left with my warriors, trying my best to fit the role of Queen. Most of my warriors seemed to respect me. Why? I was not quite sure. But they did nonetheless.

I looked out into the blissful forest, my mind wandering away with itself. Sooner or later, avenging Ragnar would be over. When that ended I knew that I would have to return to the people that I had sworn to protect and lead. It was my duty as a Queen now. My feelings could not get in the way of that. A part of me, of course, was glad of this. I'd never been a fan of emotions, I'd often wish them away. I hated feeling things but I've always felt everything far more deeply than other people. Having a goal, such as my kingdom, to steady my mind was welcomed.

But how could I leave those to whom I owed so much? How could I rip their hearts from their chests again? Kari had Ubbe now, she would soon have a family of her own. She did not need me. But Floki and Helga? Helga had that Muslim girl, the one who seemed to hate being in the presence of us all. Perhaps my leaving wouldn't hurt them this time. Perhaps no one needed me anymore.

"Signy?" Kari's voice came out in a groan, flecks of golden hair dashing into my sight as she swayed before me.

"Good afternoon, sister." I spoke, amused by her state.

"My head feels as though Thor is striking it with every breath I take. I feel like dwarves live inside my skull, pounding their hammers." She flopped onto the floor beside me, clutching her aching head.

I tapped her shoulder gently, "Rest, sister, tomorrow we battle."

"I know, that is why I am here." She spoke, making my eyebrow cock upwards. My icy eyes shone down at her before she spoke again. "I want to fight beside you and your warriors."

"No, you'd be safer with-" I began but was cut off by her waving her hand at me in mild rage.

"I'm not a little girl, Signy. Lagertha and Tori have been training me to fight while you've been gone. I don't just wish to be dear sweet Kari anymore, born to be a housewife. I want to be a shieldmaiden. I want to be strong. I want to be like you." She explained, her voice oozing with desperation as she spoke. I looked to her and couldn't help but smile at her words. All these years while I had wished to be gentle and good like her, she had wished to be like me? Her warm ocean eyes stared into my glacial stone pleadingly.

"Alright," I smirked. "If you can beat me, you can fight with me."

"Signy I-" She stuttered, now far more unsure of her abilities.

"You want to prove yourself? Now is your chance. Unless you think you cannot beat me, in which case you would die on the battlefield." I stood up, walking over to a pair of swords and throwing one to her. "So show me what you can do."

Kari quickly grabbed hold of the sword that I had tossed her. Her face was filled with determination as she looked up at me, her eyes firey and passionate. I looked right back at her, no fire in my eyes, nothing but harsh winter storm that threatened to decimate all in its path. That's all that was left of me after Eric. No patience, no compassion, no remorse. That's what I had learnt in my year of travels.
I grasped my sword, chocolate brown hair flowing in the wind.

Suddenly, Kari struck, a roar escaped the girl's lips. She charged at me with ferocity. I didn't flinch. I'd anticipated her move. Don't be the one to strike first, always wait to see what your enemy will do. Watch them. Follow the patterns of their attack. Defend yourself. Wait until you see their blind spot, their weakness, then strike. Watch them fall to the ground. Stand over their body as they tremble in shock and fear. Kill them.

The steal of our swords clashed together, Kari grunting furiously as she pushed her blade against mine. She stepped back, slashing again. Again, my sword met hers. I pushed her back with my sharp blade, the action making her stumble. She slashed her sword overhead but I ducked her attack and twirled underneath her. I kicked the back of her knee, sending the girl jolting forward. She fell to the ground, another groan leaving her lips. I turned my back on her, ready to walk away but a sharp burst of wind alerted me to the fact that her bad was coming for me again. I ducked with barely enough time and looked at her with a smirk. Her determination was admirable.

Again, the girl struck, her sword clashing against my own. I grinned, kicking her to the ground. She groaned but once again she stood to her feet. The girl looked up at me, her eyes fierce and unmoving. She attacked again. Her sword going for my legs this time. I barely jumped with enough time but, when I did, I bashed the hilt of my sword into her head. Kari fell, blood now dripping from her nose. Before she could grab her sword to attack again, I stood on her arm earning a scream. I tossed my sword to the side and she looked at me in confusion.

"Can you shoot?"

"What?"

I rolled my eyes, "I said, can you shoot?" She nodded eagerly. "I hope you're better with a bow than you are with a sword. I will see you on the battlefield.

With that, I left. Kari looked up at me from the mud, confusion and utter joy beaming from her face. Perhaps there was still kindness in me... Somewhere... For her. Always for her.