Chapter 40

The night was dark and grim

The night was dark and grim. Silence filled the area around us, a bleak and miserable silence that left chills running through me. I sat outside, on the very edge of the camp.

Inside, the others were talking and scheming for our next attack. I decided that I needed air hours ago. Plots to destroy my friends and family had grown too much for me, the idea tearing me apart inside. So, instead of facing ideas of my inevitable future, I decided to sit upon the stars one last time before the bloodbath ensued.

The night was harsh on my skin, a cold breeze biting at me. I sat watching the distant landscape, acres of greenery that would soon be painted red.

As I was looking out, my eyes noticed a movement in the black. A silhouette approached, appearing out of the cold darkness. A man rode upon a horse. It took me a moment before I could see them fully, but when the moonlight hit their face there was no mistaking them. I recognized him instantly as the man who'd taught me so much of what I now knew, a man that had been like a brother to me since I was but a girl. Bjorn.

I didn't have the heart to announce his arrival, to call out to the others. I simply stood up, my lips parted slightly as I watched in shock. He was really here. Others soon noticed and began to yell and grab weapons. I listened as his brothers left the safety of their tent to greet him. Still, I stayed outside the safety of our camp. I could distantly hear people calling my name, yelling at me to return. But I didn't feel fear when I looked out at Bjorn. I didn't believe he was even here to hurt anyone. And I had always trusted my own instincts over others.

I began to walk out to him, slowly and carefully. My hair blew gently in the wind, eyes watching every movement with a paranoid gaze.

"Bjorn?" I called into the air with a quiet voice.

He sighed a little, "Signy. I should've known I'd find you here too."

I smiled, "I'm glad you're alive." Thoughts soon clouded my mind of the previous battle and how many had been lost on both sides. "The others?"

"Kari and Ubbe are fine." He answered.

A sigh of relief escaped me and, in the cold of night, I could see it in the air before me. I felt as though I wanted to cry as I looked over at Bjorn. I didn't want to hurt him, not ever. But, here we were, at war. Without a thought, I ran over and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. At first, I noticed him almost pull away but soon enough he hugged me back. I smiled gently. It had been so long since I'd seen him. I never dreamt that we would reunite under such circumstances.

"I'm so sorry, Bjorn." I whispered.

"It's not too late to change sides, Signy." He answered calmly, pleading for my assistance.

"And side against Ivar and Hvitserk?" I gasped, the thought like a foreign concept.

I could hear the others approaching in the distance and I took a slow step back. Bjorn frowned at me, the disappointment evident on his face as he looked down. "You know they're in the wrong. What they're doing... They are the ones causing this!"

"Lagertha killed their mother Bjorn, do you expect them to just forgive her?" I questioned.

"You know this isn't about Aslaug. This is about Ivar wanting power. When he gets it, he'll betray you just like he plans to betray Harald. Just like how he betrayed us." Bjorn answered.

I shook my head, unwilling to even listen to his words, "No, he doesn't plan to betray me. I know he doesn't."

"How do you know? What did he promise you? He promised Harald the throne of Kattegat after his death. Do you think Harald will ever even see the throne?" Bjorn continued. "Did he promise you the same thing, or are you next in line after Harald? Hm?"

His words were harsh and though I knew he was trying to help me, every syllable was like salt into my wounds.

"He promised to be my husband!" I yelled to silence him.

It seemed to work, as I could soon only hear the crickets and the gentle blow of the wind. Soon Bjorn sighed, however, and gently placed a reassuring hand upon my shoulder. "Signy, don't let love blind you from seeing what's right. Who's to say he's even telling the truth? You've been gone a long time."

I pulled my shoulder away, eyes venomous and cold. "Screw you, Bjorn." I hissed.

Soon enough, Hvitserk and Harald had reached us. The escorted Bjorn inside as I stormed ahead, my mind filled with rage. I noticed Ivar as I entered the camp, he limped over to me but I just kept walking. A cloud of rage radiated from me as I sat down inside. Quickly, I poured myself a cup of mead and knocked the liquid back in a hopes that it would dull my temper. Of course, that never worked.

Ivar was the next to walk in. He sat beside me, his eyes scanning me suspiciously as I poured myself another cup. "What happened?" He asked.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter." I answered before the others entered the room.

Soon enough, Bjorn would begin speaking of negotiations to us. Negotiations that were necessary because he knew that his side were destined to lose. There was no way they could defeat us.