Chapter 25

I woke up alone. I hadn't seen Ivar since I'd told him my plans to leave. I'd been in a world of pain for so long that I'd forgotten how it felt to feel happy. The only person who ever made me feel normal again wanted nothing to do with me.
The sun beat down on my curled locks of dark hair, My crystal orbs glistening in the harsh summer sun.

Nothing felt like reason to celebrate. I heard booming voices, cheering and talking and assumed that I had overslept. After gathering some of my things and changing my clothes, I left the secluded little cabin that I'd taken for myself.

A frown spread across my rosy lips as the voices began to clear. I walked over to Kari, who seemed to be walking in my direction.

"What's going on?" I queried, my eyes flickering from her to Ivar.

"They're arguing about what to do next... Again." She rolled her eyes. "Bjorn is going to the Mediterranean, Ubbe and Hvitserk want to take the land we were given... And Ivar..."

"And Ivar wants to go to war with everyone." I interjected, making Kari crack open a small smile.

"What do you think?" She questioned.

A loud sigh left my lips, a sigh that came from nowhere but everywhere at the same time, a sigh that held more feeling than anything I'd said in the last few days. "If Ivar wants to attack other towns and cities, he can't do it alone. I suppose I'll be staying in England longer than I'd planned."

Kari smiled again, shaking her head a little, "That boy doesn't deserve you."

Right as I was about to answer her, as I was about to defend him, raised voices echoed through the streets and that familiar sound of an enraged Ivar caught my ear. No doubt that it was Ivar and Sigurd.

Me and Kari turned to eachother, both knowing what was happening. Quickly, we sprinted towards the others. When my eyes caught sight of the brothers that I'd held so dearly for so long, it was not a sight that I had ever wanted to see. Sigurd stood in front of his younger brother, an axe wedged in his chest. He pulled it out, blood pouring down onto the floor, and made his way over to Ivar. The look on Ivar's face told me everything that I needed to know. He didn't mean to do it. It was his rage.

Kari ran over to Ubbe, making sure that he was alright. None of them were alright. I knew that. Least of all, Sigurd.

The days to follow were difficult. At the funeral, everyone glared with utter contempt at Ivar. Meanwhile, Ivar sat there looking broken. He would never be the same again after this.

When everyone else cleared, he still remained. I slowly made my way over to him, placing my hand reassuringly on his shoulder.

"I didn't mean to kill him." Was all that he managed to choke out. His voice sounded quiet and vulnerable, something I knew he never liked to show.

"I know." I spoke calmly. "This wasn't your fault."