Chapter 34

The news of my departure was not news I wished to share, but my people deserved to know

The news of my departure was not news I wished to share, but my people deserved to know. If it was my fate to never return, they deserved to know what had happened to their Queen. In a way, telling them was rather comforting. As women wept and told me they'd pray to the Gods, I felt this strange sense of comfort. I'd done my duty, I'd given them all peace and safety. This was presented to me by the way they reacted upon hearing such news. It was not "good riddance" or "Thank Odin, may she die while she's gone", it was sorrow and fear. Surely that meant I'd done right by them. I certainly hoped I had.

Thora was the last person that I conversed with before my departure. I'd miss her. In the previous years, she'd come to be my closest companion. I trusted her with my life.

"Thora, I need to talk to you." I said as maids gathered my things.

"What is it?" She asked.

"There's a high chance that I will not make it home after this battle is done. I may not survive past tomorrow." I began.

She interrupted quickly, worry etched onto her face, "Don't say that."

"I must, because it's true, and this is something I must tell you. If I die, I want you first to know how much you mean to me. You've proven yourself to be dependable, strong, brave. You're still so young and yet I feel as though you're stringer than anyone I know. I cannot ask a sixteen year old girl to bare the burden of leading. Perhaps one day, you will make a wonderful Queen. But, until you're ready to take up the throne, I know who my heir shall be. If I do not survive this battle, Prince Ubbe and his wife will take my place." I continued

"My Queen, please don't talk of such things." She pleaded, tears welling in her eyes.

I smiled gently, holding onto the young girls hand, "Sweet Thora, this world is too painful for someone as kind as you. Stay safe, and promise me you will do as I ask." 

"I promise." She answered.

Soon, I was sailing across the open oceans once more. Our next stop was Paris, and then back to where it all began. Back to the place that I'd called home for most of my years.

To Kattegat.

Ik it's short but more is coming soon xxxx

-Rhiannon