Chapter 13

The next morning, me and my soldiers sailed with Hvitserk back to Kattegat

The next morning, me and my soldiers sailed with Hvitserk back to Kattegat. I had left a number of my shieldmaiden in charge while I was gone so that they could protect the town. Gods only knew how long I'd be gone for.

"What has happened in my absence?" I asked Hvitserk as we sat at the front of the boat.

"Bjorn and I went to the Mediterranean. Ivar went with father to England." Hvitserk began.

"He did what?" My eyes widened in shock. "Is he okay?"

Hvitserk chuckled before continuing, "He's fine but he was the only survivor. Mother also died while we were gone. Lagertha killed her so she could become queen."

I sighed, "I'm sure that's not why Lagertha killed your mother, Hvitserk."

No, Lagertha killed Aslaug because Aslaug had taken everything from her. Lagertha and Ragnar were once married and in love. They had their son Bjorn and their daughter Gyda (before she tragically died). After Lagertha miscarried their son, her and Ragnar were not in a good place. Ragnar slept with Aslaug on one of their raids but when she came to Kattegat pregnant with Ubbe, what was Lagertha meant to do? She left. Bjorn came with her as he wanted to do right by his mother who had lost everything else in her life. Lagertha married an abusive husband before killing him. She was then usurped by a man she trusted. Bjorn went back to live with his father. While Aslaug was living the dream, all Lagertha new was pain and betrayal.

"That doesn't matter to Ivar. He will kill her." Hvitserk answered.

The rest of the voyage, Hvitserk and I just talked about mundane topics. It was nice to think about lighthearted things, to laugh and to smile. It was nice to see him again, to back with someone familiar. To be away from the pain and the misery and somewhere friendly. After a while of sailing, we made it back to Kattegat. It was mid afternoon when we returned. I looked out at the fast approaching town from the boat. Tears nearly sprung to my eyes, happiness flooding over me almost drowning me. I was home. I was finally home. However, as quickly as the happiness came so did my nerves. What would people say to me? What was I sailing straight into?
I pulled up my hood nervously. "What of my sister?"
Hvitserk shifted uncomfortably before speaking again, "She uhm... She got married." He mumbled.
I looked at him wide eyed and tried my best to put on a polite smile, "Married? Whomever to?"
"Ubbe." He answered quite quickly. In all honesty, I couldn't contain my happiness at the news. She was married to Ubbe and not a man like Eric. I'd always known Ubbe to be a good, kind, caring person. The idea of my sister being married to him made me want to squeal with joy.
As the boat neared at the shores and halted at the docks of Kattegat, I reached out my hand and felt the need to hold onto Hvitserk's for comfort. He smiled over to me with bright eyes and reassurance that made me feel as though I could face almost anything. I gave a weak smile in return.

We slowly stepped off of the boat and I hid behind Hvitserk for comfort. I wasn't quite sure if I was ready for the welcomes back or judgmental gazes. I mostly didn't wish to see his brothers though. Especially Ivar. What would he think of me now? I wasn't sure that I was ready to find out. So, instead, I walked along behind Hvitserk with my dark hood covering my face.

I walked through the streets, my soldiers behind me and Hvitserk in front. I didn't look up, I kept my eyes trained on the ground and my feet moving forward. We kept moving until I heard the familiar creak of the Great Hall's doors. My heart nearly stopped in my chest as we walked inside. I kept my hood up and my head to the ground before Hvitserk stopped. I stood still behind him, not daring to peer around him.

"This is the Queen of one of the Swedish towns that agreed to help us avenge our father. She's supplied hundreds of men and women to our cause." Hvitserk introduced me and I smiled at his words. He hadn't told them it was me.

"A Queen?" I heard a less familiar voice say from the throne but I instantly recognized it as Lagertha. My smile grew as I heard her speak with approval. I'd always admired the brave shieldmaiden. Helga and Floki had told me many of her exploits and spoke of her in high esteem. What young girl would not look to the great shieldmaiden Lagertha Lothbrok as a role model. This only increased as I had gotten to know her. She was friends with my father too but had already left Kattegat by the time I was born. I saw her infrequently but she had always been kind and warm towards me. Of course, Bjorn kept his mother up to date on my training and other such things. I was proud to call her a friend.

"And why would she do that?" My heart stopped as I heard his voice. That familiarly accusing tone. You could hear the glare through his voice. His surly attitude had not wavered in my absence. I smiled, standing beside Hvitserk now. I gently grasped the deep purple hood and pilled it down to reveal my dark hair and rosy cheeks.

"How could I not come to aid such a journey when Ragnar Lothbrok had been almost family to me." I spoke calmly, my voice holding both authority and kindness as it always had done. I directed it to everyone but after I'd finished speaking, my gaze flew straight to Ivar's icy blue eyes. He looked shocked, his face white as though he'd seen a ghost. Is that what I'd become to him? A ghost? Was my return unwelcome as Ivar had already moved on from my absence? Or was I the light in his bleak world that he sorely needed? I couldn't tell. However, in that moment, I did not care. I did not care how he felt about my return. All I cared for was the fact that I was stood looking at him once again. I'd missed him. More than words could describe.

"Signy?" A shocked whisper came from beside Ivar. I turned my head to see Kari stood beside her new husband and his little brother. She looked so happy.

It was in that moment that I stopped minding everything that I had endured. Not a single detail of it would I have traded for the world. I knew that me going, meant that my beloved sister could marry the man that she loved. I knew that my sacrifice meant that she could be happy. My misery, meant her joy. My loss, her gain. My nightmare, her dream. None of it mattered anymore. All that mattered was that I knew that my sister never had to endure the tragedies that I faced. Instead, she had spent her time with a good man such as Ubbe. Nothing in the world could have made me more overjoyed.

"Sister." I greeted, a warm smile across my face. Without warning, she left across the rooms and pulled me into a tight embrace. I held her gently and smiled as we parted.

"We thought you were dead!" Kari cried out, clearly so overwhelmingly pleased by my appearance that it was difficult to stop myself from holding her and never letting go.

"I am not. In fact, I am now Queen. My husband is dead." I looked to Hvitserk before continuing, "He died just before we set off for Kattegat."

"He died? Are you alright?" She questioned.

"I've never been better in all my life. In fact, now that I am Queen Signy Blodborinn, I know that I have never been stronger either. Though, it seems that congratulations are in order. I am truly sorry that I missed such a wonderful occasion. " I answered.

"You are here now, that is all that matters." Ubbe stepped over and greeted me with a welcoming smile. I returned it. Lagertha had watched the display before her silently the entire time. Her eyes were fixed on me as though she could see into the depths of my soul. She knew. I knew that if anyone would ever understand, it would be Lagertha. I knew that she could sense how I felt. I knew that she had felt the same emotions once too.

"Ivar." I nodded to him with a plain greeting. He did not reply. He just stared at me, his cold gaze unrelenting.

"Well, we must feast to your return. It is wonderful to see you home again." Lagertha interrupted the reunion with a smile.

"Thank you, Queen Lagertha, truly. However, I must first go and see Helga and Floki. I've missed them terribly. I do hope you all understand."
Lagertha nodded and so I began my trip through the forest to the little hit that I had once called home.

Question - who's your favourite dynamic so far in this book? (not including Ivar cuz we all know he's a babe) Personally, I'm really enjoying writing Signy and Kari. I love their relationship!
Of course, I love Signy with Floki and Helga and I love her friendship with the Ragnarssons but yeah writing about Signy and her sister is really fun lol.

-Rhiannon