Chapter 6

I woke up the next morning, sunlight shining through the small cracks it the walls

I woke up the next morning, sunlight shining through the small cracks it the walls. I stretched out a yawn, feeling the furs that covered me. My brows soon furrowed when I realised that I didn't recognize where exactly I was. I stood up, still dressed in my clothes from the day before, and walked towards the door. My dark hair rain in waves down my back, bouncing with every step I took. I gently reached for the handle of the door, unsure whether I wanted to know where I was. I hesitated for a moment, my petite hand hovering above the handle, before I finally pushed the door open. I stepped out into the great hall, noticing the brothers sat around the table. My sister was sat beside Ubbe, clearly feeling most comfortable near him. I walked out, earning a small smile from Ivar when he noticed me. Aslaug was nowhere to be seen so there were two spaces at the table - both being beside Ivar. I walked over and took a seat beside my friend before looking over to him. "What happened last night? I don't remember falling asleep."

"You fell asleep outside, Hvitserk helped me carry you in and we let you sleep in Bjorn's old room." Ivar explained. I nodded.

"How's Kari doing?" I asked quietly as I watched the young girl laughing with Ubbe and Hvitserk.

"She seems fine but she doesn't really talk much to me." He shrugged.

I chuckled slightly, "That's because you've probably terrified her."

"How?" He exasperated.

"I don't know Ivar, you are pretty terrifying." I grinned.

Ivar smirked at me, leaning in closer to speak, "Are you scared of me?"

I just smirked back in response, leaning into his ear to whisper, "Not in the least."

I turned to face the other brothers, ignoring the fact that Ivar was sat biting his lower lip wanting to continue our conversation. I just listened intently as Ubbe told Kari stories from their youth and Kari laughed listening to him like he was the only person left on earth.

"So, do you four have to be anywhere today?" I questioned.

"Well, we were going to go train in the woods." Sigurd began with an eyeroll.

"You can join is if you want, you usually end up training with us anyway." Hvitserk shrugged, interrupting his younger brother.

I chuckled, "Thanks, but I should really go back home. Helga will be worried sick."
The boys all nodded understandingly. As sweet as Helga was, she'd certainly have my head if I was gone for too long.
"Kari should probably come with me. I don't want to burden you anymore than I already am." I sighed.

"She's not a burden." Ubbe reacted instantly. I almost had to hold back a laugh as we all noticed how fast he'd spoken. Ubbe took a minute before speaking again, "We don't mind her being here." Sigurd and Hvitserk both nodded in agreement, all looking at my sister. She gave a small giggle and looked back at me with a shrug.

"Well, thank you all. I'll see you soon." I smiled standing to leave. The brothers all said their farewells, along with Kari, all except Ivar. As I moved to leave, he held my arm and pulled me back to talk to him quietly.

"Will you stay here again tonight?" He asked curiously. I shook my head, a small smile creeping onto my lips. "A shame. I'll come by Floki's hut later, see you then." I gave him a nod before leaving.

The walk back to my home was a long one. I walked for a couple of hours through the woodlands before finally reaching the hut. The entire way there I just thought about how on earth Ivar managed to crawl all this distance almost every day.

"Floki? Helga?" I called as I reached the sandy shore. Helga ran outside, shortly followed by Floki who just walked casually behind her.

"There you are!" Helga let out, totally relieved by my appearance. "Where have you been?"

"I stayed at the hall." I answered, thinking nothing of it. Heat soon rushed to my cheeks as I realised how it sounded.

Floki gave a small, mildly maniacal, laugh before speaking, "I told you!"

I looked at the both, confused by his comment. Helga smiled up at Floki and the two just chuckled. "What?"

"Finally." Floki sighed as he walked away. "That crippled bastard doesn't half take his time!"
Helga soon followed behind him, a little skip in her step as she walked along the sand.

I stood there utterly perplexed by whatever had just commenced before me.

I spent most of the day helping Helga air sails as Floki worked on the ships. When the sun lost its altitude in the sky - it must've been nearing sunset - I walked inside to help Helga with dinner.

"So, how come you slept in the great hall?" Helga asked as she chopped vegetables.

I shrugged, "I fell asleep outside with Ivar when he was comforting me."

That's when I realised that neither Helga or Floki knew anything of what had happened the night before. She looked at me with concern, "Comforting you?"

Without warning, I pulled Helga into a hug, tears running from my eyes. I hadn't even thought of how I was going to tell Helga that I had to leave. "It was the only way to save her. I wasn't thinking. I'm so sorry." I sobbed.

Helga hugged, me gently caressing my soft locks of hair. She guided me to sit down and reassured me, letting me know that I could tell her everything.

"Turin gambled Kari's hand in marriage away to some Earl. It was the only way to keep her safe so I traded myself instead. I-I-I have to leave in a weak! I haven't even told Ivar that I'm going to have to leave and get married. I don't want to leave any of you!" I cried as Helga gently held my hands in hers.

She looked at me kindly, "Signy, you don't have to do anything."

"I do! I have to honour this deal or they'll take Kari. She's too caring, too sensitive, it'll kill her! Please don't tell anyone, Helga. You know it'll only end in a war." I spewed out.

"A war that we'll win." She fired back quickly.

I sighed, "but at the cost of how many innocent men and women?"

Helga looked at me, wishing there was some way to change my mind or get me out of my conundrum. "You're a strong girl, Signy. I'm so proud of you. If ever this man hurts you, you'll send word straight away and a war he will have! I'm sure Floki would gladly put his head on a stick. As sad as I am to see you leave, as much as I wish I could change this for you, the Gods have a plan for you. We may not know what it is now but one day it will all make sense." She gave me a sensitive smile before continuing, "but you must tell Ivar." With that, Helga stood up and began preparing dinner once more.

"He's the one person I can't tell." I protested with a frown.

"He should know that you plan to marry, Signy." She said sternly.

"Helga, you make it sound like I want to marry this man. I don't have a choice! Ivar will understand that." I folded my arms in an attempt to look strong in position.

"Signy, he deserves to know." She sighed.

"Who deserves to know what?" Helga and I both turned to the door, seeing Floki stood beside Ivar who had just asked us both a question.

"Nothing." I sighed, still angry about everything that was going on. With my frustration I stood up, pushing past the two men in the doorway to storm out onto the beach.

"Hello to you too." Floki shrugged, walking inside the hut. Ivar sat in the doorway, looking back and forth between Helga and I in confusion, before finally crawling across the sand to speak to me. Great.

Just saying, Floki and Helga both totally ship Ivar and Signy (haha geddit... Cuz Floki builds boats... Okay I'll leave now.)

-Rhiannon