Chapter 43

Trigger warning: graphic violence

I stood ready, my eyes scanning the battlefield. That buzz ran through my bones, electrifying every fiber of my being. The battle was about to commence. I let a small sigh leave my lips, the fresh air filling my lungs once more before the stench of death and decay filled it again.

I clenched my sword, hand trembling with the tightness of my grip. It felt as though it would slip from my grasp any second now, and if I could just keep hold of it then maybe I could keep hold of the stability in my world. In the distance, I heard a noise. Suddenly, the other warriors began charging forwards and I found myself being washed ashore among the sea of violence.

When we met the approaching army, I gulped back my fears. I ran through the crowds, a white silhouette in an ocean of red. Soon enough, I found myself under attack. A sword struck down towards me, luckily I had enough time to block it with my own. The clashing sound of steel upon steel brought me back into reality. Time sped up away from the slow motion daze that I had previously inhabited. I kicked back the other soldier, my boot pressing into their ribs. They stumbled back, trying to regain their footing. When they looked up, it was too late to defend. I was already on the move and my sword slashed down. Their skull smashed in two as their lifeless body hit the ground. A mix of brains and blood poured out onto the muddy ground.

I kept moving, boots padding on the ground. Again, I found myself under attack. This time, it was by a familiar face. I knew this boy. He was a friend of Kari's. His father used to make sails for Floki. They were friends.

In his face, I could see he was still so young. Perhaps no more than 16. When I was his age, I met my fate. I met a fate that would determine the rest of my life. Today, so would he. Sadly, his life would not be as long. Though, perhaps it was better that way. No one wants to live like this, wrecked by guilt everyday. Now, I would put him out of his misery.

"I'm sorry." I said calmly before launching my sword across his throat. Blood poured out the gaping wound as he choked, trying to catch a breath. I stumbled back a little, my hand still shaking, as I watched his eyes slowly glaze over and his heart stop beating. It made me feel ill, knowing that I had caused this. And yet, still I pressed on.

I'd just mowed down another warrior, cut his head clean from his shoulders, when I stumbled into someone else. This time, however, it was not just a familiar face I'd seen a few times before. This time it was a girl of my age. A beautiful girl unlike anyone you've seen before. She wore red, matching her rosy cheeks. Her eyes shone like little stars. Long strands of blonde hair framed her face, and kindness still shone through her.

She was my sister. Kari. A beautiful gift from the gods. My end and beginning. She was what gave my life meaning for sixteen years. Protecting her, loving her, that was my purpose. And here we stood, on other sides of a war, ready to kill one another.

"Signy..." She gasped, her eyes searching mine for the decency she once knew.

"don't try and ask me to join your side, sister. You know I can't do that." I spoke up.