Chapter 9

Warning: contains mentions of assault and rape

I could feel the lightning run through my bones as it crashed against midgard from Thor himself

I could feel the lightning run through my bones as it crashed against midgard from Thor himself. We had been sailing all night, the sun now lifting the curtain of darkness from my sleepless slumber. I was right, he was not from here. King Eric was not even a true king. He had murdered his own brother for the title. This dead I found disgusting. I could not imagine what else the man I was to marry was capable of. I looked out into the vast ocean, noticing the approaching land before us. It looked to be a small town, the forests surrounding it were plentiful though. My fearful blue eyes watched as our ship finally reached the docks of my new home. Women and children rushed back and forth to greet their grey-haired King back from his long voyage.

"My people, my loyal men and women, today is a proud day for us. Today, we welcome our new queen. My soon to be wife, Signy, will help us make a future for our humble town. She will provide me with many sons and fill this town with heirs to my throne, heirs that will protect all of you as I have sworn to do." He greeted. Everyone in his presence seemed utterly unconvinced. More than anything, they seemed terrified to speak out against the man. I gulped, stepping forward. Many people whispered and muttered about me and my head fell to the floor in shame. I did not want this. Just the idea of touching this man disgusted me, never mind sleeping with him and baring his monsters.
I hurried through the crowd, avoiding their judgmental stares. Eric dragged me beside him like I was a trophy. I just wanted this nightmare to be over. I wanted to scream and thrash but I was too numb. I didn't have the energy. All I wanted was to curl up into Ivar's warm embrace and feel his strong arms wrap around me, protecting me from all of this.

"Leave us!" King Eric demanded as he shoved me inside his Great Hall. I stumbled in, barely finding my footing as he bolted up the doors behind him. "Now, wife-"

"I am not your wife." I protested, my voice stern and my eyes shooting daggers at him. "We are not yet married."

"But you are mine now. You're my property." He snarled, the strength now faltering in my eyes. I was, after all, still just a girl.

"What do you want?" I whimpered as he approached me menacingly. Though he was weedy, he towered over me. The look in his eyes let me know that I should fear his insanity. I did.

"I want what any man wants, I want to be satisfied. Now kneel." He demanded, pointing to the ground.

"No." I said firmly, still trying my best to keep up whatever semblance of respect I had left.

"Do not test me woman, I want you now." He growled, his voice terrifying as he kept approaching me.

"We should wait until we are married. I have never-"

"Now!" With that, his hand slapped across my face. The noise echoed through the room for a moment. I held my face, my fingers gently caressing the red mark that appeared upon it. I looked up to him, my eyes brimming with tears and hatred. Before I could react, his hand was around my throat. He pinned me against one of the large wooden tables, squeezing on my neck. I clawed at his hands, desperately trying to reach for air as he choked the life from me. Fearful tears left my blue orbs as I struggled in his grip. I felt his other hand reaching down to my dress and pushing it up. I tried to fight, kicking and biting at every chance I got. But I had no oxygen in my lungs. Black dots began to appear in my vision, the world blurring into a mass of meaningless colour. The last thing I felt before I passed out completely was the agony as he trusted into me. A small squeal was all that escaped my lips before darkness consumed me.