Chapter 27

We stood at the docks

We stood at the docks. Bjorn and Halfdan had just departed so I remained with Harald. He seemed disconcerted to say the least that the only person in the world that he cared for was sailing into the sunset with Bjorn. That didn't stop Halfdan though. I respected his need to travel and his wish to get more from life than just living. I felt the same. However, I'd been thrust into the game of power, something I did not enjoy.

When Floki began readying a ship, I felt as though my world had been split in two. I walked over steadily, seeing the Ragnarssons make their way over out the corner of my eye.

"I can't talk you out of this, can I?" I spoke solemnly.

"Not this time, little one." He replied.

I could feel the tears brewing in my eyes but managed, somehow, to push them back. "I'm going to miss you." I sighed.

"I'll miss you too. I'll miss all of you. But this is something I have to do." Floki answered.

"Floki..." I began, earning a nod from him. "You and Helga were the closest things I've ever had to parents. I love you. Please come back to us."

Floki just smiled and brought me into a hug, the last hug that the two of us would likely ever share. I hugged him back, taking in every minute of the embrace. I was going to miss him. If only I'd had this goodbye with Helga. If only I could've told her how much she meant to me and how much it would break me apart to lose her. But Helga was with Angrboda now, she was happy again.

I listened as he spoke with the brothers, smiling slightly as him and Ivar exchanged insults. Hvitserk noticed my dismay towards the situation and he gently held onto my hand. This action, though small, made a world of difference. Just like seeing Hvitserk in the Great Hall with my husband, his presence calmed me down immensely.

We watched as Floki departed, tears still swelling in my eyes. There was nothing I could do to stop him. I felt so alone. But, at the same time, I knew I wasn't alone. And, as long as the sons of Ragnar remained together, I knew that I would never be alone.

"Are you alright?" Hvitserk questioned quietly.

"I'm okay... Thank you, Hvitserk." I replied

He looked confused as he spoke again, "What for?"

"For everything." I smiled gently.