Chapter 19

We finally arrived back to camp and I was aching to take a bath

We finally arrived back to camp and I was aching to take a bath. I needed to feel the cool water sooth my tired muscles. Luckily enough, I'd found a lake not too far from where we were camped. So, my only conundrum was the question of how I was going to get away from the others without being noticed. This was, of course, my spot. I didn't want to be disturbed by other Vikings, they could find their own damn lake.

Mud and blood stained every part of my body, my hair was matted with dry blood sticking it together. When we finally made it back, I was quick to run to my tent. I gathered up clean clothes and some soap before slipping back outside. I looked around my tent, making sure the cost was clear before I made a run for it. I thought that I'd reached the lake unnoticed. I was wrong, of course. Nothing goes unnoticed when you're around Ivar Lothbrok.
I quickly untied my armour, carefully ripping it from my body and tossing it to the ground. I reached for the hem of my shirt, lifting it up and tossing it down before doing the same with my trousers. I stood there, the breeze gently cooling the heated aching that came from all of my tense muscles. Slowly, I stepped into the cool lake. A little moan escaped my lake as I felt the water against my body. I heard a branch snap and knew that someone was there but my head did not snap up. I knew it would likely be Ivar, and if it wasn't then I supposed that all my interactions with them were innocent. The water soon covered me, consuming my body and hiding my bare skin from any onlookers. When I heard the familiar sound of Ivar crawling along the sandy dirt, I smiled. Of course it was him.

"Enjoying the show, Ivar?" I laughed, amused by his appearance. I still did not turn round to face him though.

"I was." He answered flatly. That is when I turned to him, his blue eyes looking directly into mine and boring into my soul. I grinned and gestured for him to join me. He only gestured to his legs in response. As the water soothed my pain, and my skin became clean, I walked back out from the comfort of the lake. The cool air now felt much cooler against my skin as I stepped over to Ivar. I sat on his lap, straddling him with a smirk. He looked at me, not quite sure how to respond to the situation.

"Let me help you with that." I smiled, slowly undoing the armour that protected him. I gently pushed a damp cloth up to his blood soaked cheek, washing away the mud and crimson liquid that stuck to his perfect features. I gently pulled up his shirt and, with help from Ivar, took it off of him. His eyes watched every move I made with sharp fascination as I slowly washed away the dirt from the days battle. Before I could go any further, his lips were soon pressed against my own. I pushed him back against the ground, still sat on top of him without any clothes on, and kissed back hungrily. I felt his hands roam over my body and noticed that I was doing the same. It drove me crazy. I leant down, gently biting his neck to leave small marks.

That is when words slipped from his mouth, the way he looked when he said them made me feel so weak. His eyes gleamed with fear, breaking my heart just a little. "Do you really love me?" He asked in a vulnerable whisper.

I sighed, giving him a sorrowful smile and placing a sweet kiss against his lips. I cupped his face in my hands, my big blue eyes looking down at him so he could see my sincerity. "Ivar Lothbrok, I would die for you. For you, I would give up my place in Valhalla with the Gods. For you, I would embrace whatever tragedies may befall me. Of course I love you, or perhaps love is too frail a word for what I feel for you. All I know is that somewhere deep down, I've always felt this way."

Ivar looked so fragile as he listened to my words. It was almost as though he would cry at any moment, but he didn't. He was stronger than that. He closed the gap between us once more and I felt my heart warm at the feeling. Soon we pulled apart, and I rested my head against his, "I love you too. I mean, I'm in love with you..."

I chuckled at his words and he waited for my response with a little confusion. "Don't get soft on me now, boneless." I smiled like I always did when I was afraid of showing too many emotions. I was afraid of being weak.