Chapter 32

Of course, my story did not end there

Of course, my story did not end there. I didn't leave and just disappear. No. My story had only just begun and I was not prepared to sink back into the background. Not yet.

All my life I'd been in the background. I was the girl who'd always been there but no one ever noticed. No one knew my name. No one knew my interests. I was just sort of there. I was like a shadow, lingering in the depths of my own thoughts. I listened and observed while going completely unseen.

Now, I had to make sure that everyone knew my name. No one would forget Signy Blodborrin. No one.

I made defenses around my new territories and invested money and troops into expanding those territories. I placed trusted Jarls on my colony's. I strengthened my armies, created industry in the town. In the year since taking power and returning from England, I achieved more than any king in this land had ever done.

However, there was one achievement that stood above all else. One achievement that left me in a huge position of power. My legacy would be peace, and what greater legacy could one have?

I had united almost the entirety of Sweden. Kings, earls, everyone followed me. I brought peace and prosperity. As people saw their neighbouring towns thriving under my rule, more and more people pledged allegiance to me.

"Queen Signy, we have news from Kattegat that your sister has returned." My trusted guard, Thora had informed me.

My eyes darted up from the plans that spread out across my table, little blue opals in a darkened night. "Who was with her?"

"Her husband, Prince Ubbe and a small number of thralls." Thora answered.

Instantly, my heart sunk. Naturally, I assumed the worst. "What of his brothers? Ivar and Hvitserk?" I asked.

"They remain in York, my Queen." She replied.

My heart settled a little, breathing steadying. It seemed odd that the four of them had split in two but I did not question it too much.

I decided it was best to continue with my work. Running so many kingdoms was not exactly the easiest task. We spent hours discussing taxes and defense strategies, my advisors standing by me for every step of the way. I had never asked to be a Queen, never prayed upon a star that I would gain all this power. I wanted glory, to be strong and recognized by Freyja. I wanted to live a life that would send me to Folkvangr when I died. But I never yearned for power. As I grew and saw the ways of this foul world, however. I realised that a strong and compassionate leader was what the world desperately needed. There was so much corruption and hate, someone needed to make a change. And if no one else would, then I was going to step up. And so, I stood in this seat of power. Not because I yearned for power, but because I yearned to change the world.

It was late afternoon when, finally, I had a break. I decided to walk out into the market, just to feel the fresh air in my lungs.

I was wandering through the streets, my long dress trailing behind me, when I saw a little girl stood in the crowd. She stood beside her mother who seemed to be having an animated debate with one of the men in the stalls. I wasn't sure what exactly drew me to her, perhaps it was how much she reminded me of herself, but I couldn't help but smile at the child. She had long locks of dark hair that moved down her back in gentle waves. Her eyes shone like sweet little diamonds in an ocean of porcelain white skin. She wore a little red cloak that almost reached the floor and a white dress beneath it. It was like staring into a mirror. She stood still and silent, in a way that toddlers rarely did. She seemed to be watching everything around her, surveying her surroundings. Then her eyes fell on me. I sent a little wave in her direction and, in return, she gave a mischievous grin and another little wave.

"Ingrid, who are you waving at?" Her mother scolded her before following her daughter's gaze to me. "I'm so sorry, your Highness, she didn't mean to disturb you."

"She didn't." I smiled. "What seems to be the problem here?"

The woman looked to the man that she'd been arguing with, her head hung low. "She is trying to buy from me without any money. My work isn't free." The man answered.

"What are you trying to buy?" I cocked up my eyebrow.

"My daughter has no clothes for the winter. We barely have enough money to eat, my Queen." She said. "I don't want to see her freeze."

"Nor do I." I said. With one gesture, I summoned one of my guards over. I turned to him and whispered a command. Quickly, he returned with a small velvet bag. I took it and placed it in the woman's hand. "This should see you through the winter."

The woman looked inside the bag, her eyes widening at the sight of gold and jewels. She looked back to me, awe on her face. "Thank you! Thank you!" She almost wept.

I only smiled, waving again at the little girl before departing.