Chapter 31

Today was the day that I'd feared for so long

Today was the day that I'd feared for so long. I'd been putting it off for as long as I could, but now I had to return to my people. The settlement in York seemed to be stabilizing, though I could not say the same for Ivar. I decided that now was when I must return, though I feared something dreadful would happen if I wasn't there to guide the Prince.

I was sat upon the riverside, leaves gently swaying to the ground in the light breeze. The sun shone brighter and more beautifully than even Freyja herself, a near impossibility. All I could do was watch and listen as my men loaded their things onto my boat.

Ivar didn't know I was leaving. He'd been busy coming up with defenses for York and I hadn't wished to disturb. Instead, I would leave. I knew if I spoke to him, he'd only convince me to stay longer.

From the direction of the town came Freydis. I'd asked her to meet me here before I left - and to inform Hvitserk, Ubbe and Kari of my departure as they were not part of Ivar's scheming. She approached me, her white dress flowing in the wind as mine had once done. Once I had been innocent like her. But soon she would succumb to the ways of the world as I had done. We lived in such a cruel place, it was so hard to remain pure.

"I'm glad you came." I smiled, standing to face the young woman. She seemed mildly on edge around me - in a way I'd never seen her around anyone else. I wondered why but thought nothing of it.

"Is there anything you need me for?" She asked quietly?

I nodded, "I have one thing to ask of you." she waited for me to continue, watching me with an iridescent gaze. "I don't know how long I'll be gone, or even if I'll ever return. The only people I ever truly felt responsible for were Kari and Ivar. My sister has Ubbe now but, if I leave, Ivar will be alone again. I need you to promise me that you'll look after him. He is the strongest person I know but he's still human. When he thinks he's not good enough, make sure he knows that the Gods love him. When he thinks he's alone, make sure he knows he's not."

At this, Freydis seemed to lose her nerves around me. She smiled, far more confidently now. "Of course!"

I excused her and she left quickly, being replaced by the familiar faces of my dearest friends. Hvitserk was the first to run over and hug me, Kari trailing behind him and Ubbe behind her.

"I'll miss you too." I chuckled slightly as Hvitserk lowered me back onto the ground.

"Maybe in a year or two you'll be saving me instead of me saving you." He joked in return.

I laughed, "Hvitserk, it's always me saving you."

Kari wondered over, her head hanging low. "I can't believe this is happening again."

"Kari, you will see me again. I'm sorry but I must return to my people. I've asked Gunnhild if she'll continue your training and perhaps, when you return to Kattegat, Lagertha and Torvi will also. I'm so proud of you, sister." I smiled, engulfing her in a hug.

Slowly, I walked up to Ubbe. "I'm going to miss you." I said.

"What about Ivar, Signy? Have you told him yet?" Ubbe raised the question. I only shook my head in response. "You can't leave, not now. We need you."

"So do my people. My priority is with them now." I answered.

Ubbe nodded understandingly, "Then you better visit Kattegat soon."

"I will." I smiled.

The trio stood upon the grassy shore, watching as I climbed into my boat. There were perhaps three boats full of my men departing at this time. The remaining forces had been ordered to stay with Ivar until ordered otherwise. I'd need them back soon but I couldn't just abandon him and take all my soldiers with me. It seemed unfair. Though, this whole situation seemed unfair. Life was not a fair game. It took and it took but what did it ever give?

I had been the one that told Freydis to look after Ivar. I had not known what would happen between them in my absence, the fondness that Ivar had for her. But that was part of being Queen. I loved him, but this relationship between us was doomed to fail. I was destined to be alone. And if the closest I would get to loving him was seeing him happily with another woman, that was enough for me. It broke my heart, but it was the path that I had chosen.