IV - Ferry Part 3

"♪Always smile~ Put on your best, and swing your arms around! Hold yourself tight, and prepare to feel hidden fright~!♪"

- Unknown ♪

🥀.

        A loud eruption shocks the boat into an intense tremble as if an earthquake was accuring under the bayou's shimmering water. The sun finally sets down, hiding behind the sweeping orange trees. I like many others, slip, and fall on my knees. Where's all this noise coming from?

     The boat's horn honks. I cover my ears,"W-What's g-g-going on?" I ask desperately getting to my feet. My sweaty toes make it easier to grip on the wooden floor.

     Trying to keep balance on Wirt's shoulders, Bill waves his hands in the air holding his excited laughter. His golden eyes jumping in excitement as he watches every frog on the deck fall. "Is the music a bit too loud?" He giggles, a sinister smile forming between his giggles.

"B-Bill do-do you know what's g-going on?"

     Wirt turns around, and peeks from his magical growing coat. His gaze inspects every angle of the deck. His eyes stop at the floor above us, at the top of the deck, in the control room where a shadowy figure of a frog wearing a sailor hat, and black eyes stares at him while turning the wheel of the ship slowly. The frog's eyes are swirling charcoal.

"Hi hi hi~ I think Branches knows the guy." Bill snickers. I stare at the frog horrified.

"W-What t-the h-h-hell is that?! T-That doesn't look like a frog!" I accuse pointing at it.

Big Mistake.

       The 'frog' smiles. It isn't a normal smile. A curved thin grin showing no teeth travels to both--if frogs had ears that's how far it would travel. A cold breeze digs in my shirt and tickles my spine, I shutter and immediately retreat my hand feeling a sudden jerk in my body to take a step back. The feeling of my hand getting chopped off again comes back in my head and relays with bright flashes. I cringe.

It knows we spotted it. It's glad we did.

"S-Shit!"I shiver a curse so that only Wirt, and Bill could hear between the crowd of still shocked frogs gasping, still trying to get up on their feet. Collecting their tadpoles, and parasols.

"I think it wants to say hi." Bill shakes the maracas in a mimicking way.

     The frog slightly looks at Bill as it slowly but steadily turns the wheel. It's cheerful grin drops to a large upside-down smile. Wirt glares at it for a moment before telling Bill, still eyeing the frog,"So you wanna quit running?"

Quit running? Wait, is he serious? What's the opposite of running--staying? To what fight that thing? What does Wirt think it is?

"Sure, I could go for a drink after this." The jolly demon shrugs sheepishly.

No!

"Y-You're not s-s-serious! D-D-Do not make m-m-me think of what y-y-you are thinking of d-d-doing!" I slip off the heavy, and hot drum head and toss it carelessly to the side. It rolls down a few steps, and lands with a thud!

"Now that's a funny thought." Bill smirks.

"What-What is it that t-that we have to kill in order to stay!? It's just a-a-a-a creepy looking frog!" I yell.

I have to shut up.

       Suddenly a loud booming howl of a thousand crow cries echoes through the air, piercing it thin. The frog shadow melts into black goo.