Chapter Sixteen : What Did You Do?

The next morning started off like none other.
When Y/n opened her eyes, she was surprised to see Rin sitting next to her on the bed.
“What are you doing here, Rin?” Suddenly there was a surge of pain in Y/n’s neck, similar to the one that she woke up with when Amaimon marked her, but much more painful. She took out her phone and went on the camera to see her reflection. The first thing she noticed was a mark. The problem was, it wasn’t Amaimon’s mark that she noticed. There was a new one on the opposite side of her neck.  “What did you do?”
“I-I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” Rin said, obviously flustered.
“You didn't mean to?” She repeated, mad at his stupidity. She had a calm tone of voice, which to Rin was scarier than if she had been yelling.
“I don’t know what came over me,” Rin himself was confused and trying to work out his own emotions. “I don’t know, I guess I was just feeling… ugh, I don’t know.”
“What were you feeling, Rin?”
“I don’t understand, because you’re like a sister to me. You’ve been there for me when I needed it most. I guess I just didn’t want you to be with Amaimon,” Rin tried to explain. “He doesn’t deserve you, Y/n.”

Y/n took a deep breath and held Rin’s hands. This simple gesture was able to calm Rin down and let him know that she forgave him. Even though it wasn’t right, she understood that he was trying to do what he thought was right and she knows that he did it because he cares for her. But the sweet moment soon turned sour as a surge of pain flowed through every cell in her body. Her hand immediately went to the place that had the most pain, the new mark.

Rin panicked and ran to Mephisto’s office.
“Rin, what’s wrong?” Mephisto asked, seeing to look of worry plastered on his face.
“I think I did something really bad.” Mephisto sat Rin down and then he explained everything. He explained how he marked her and how now she’s in pain. Within his panicked rambling, Mephisto was able to get the gist of it. He sighed but told Rin how he can help her.
“Right now, she’s in pain because you marked her. Think of a mark as a way of being claimed. Every cell in her body has been claimed. But since you marked her, her very cell is being changed, and her body is rejecting it.” Mephisto tried to explain.
“Then why is it hurting her now and not when Amaimon marked her?”
“Well, let’s see. Imagine a land that was uninhabited. It’s easier for a person to inhabit it. But if someone else came and tried to re-colonize it, there might be a fight for who can have the land. The land being Y/n, and the original person being Amaimon. Does that make sense?”
“Yeah, I think so. But how do I help her?”
In order to help ease the pain, you have to be close to her.”
“Why?”
“Hopefully it’ll help ease the transition so her body won’t feel the need to reject it.” After that, Mephisto didn’t let Rin go just yet. He lectured Rin on how stupid he was and even whacked him a couple of times.

Back with Y/n

Amaimon was there with Y/n.  He didn’t know how to comfort somebody, but he tried. He was angry at Rin for causing this, but he was more mad at himself for not being there. In an attempt to help Y/n, he cuddled up to her. Even if she was still in the most intense pain imaginable, as if every single cell was being split apart and burned alive, she was happy that Amaimon was there. It calmed her down knowing that Amaimon was trying to help her and that she was loved.

When Rin burst through the door to get closer to Y/n, Amaimon let out an inhuman growl.  Mephisto walked out from behind Rin and noticed that Amaimon was standing over Y/n, who had passed out from pain, like a wild dog.

“Rin, let me handle this, he’s not going to let you get any closer.”
“But what about what you said?”
“I said let me handle this. Now, Amaimon,” he directed his attention to the possessive demon. “I know you don’t like it, but Rin needs to be here,” Amaimon was still rabid as if his demon side was out of control. He wouldn’t let anyone close to her. “You don’t want her to be in pain, right?” Mephisto got through to Amaimon by using Y/n’s well being. He reluctantly let Rin get closer.

Rin climbed in the bed and wrapped his arm around Y/n, holding her as close as possible. Amaimon didn’t like that Rin was the only one close to her, so he did the same.
So Y/n was sandwiched by the two demons, who were now both her mates. Even though Amaimon didn’t like having to share, Y/n’s breathing was no longer ragged from the pain she was in, so Amaimon was glad.

Okay, originally she was supposed to be mad at Rin and try to remove the mark, but Rin is my son and I can’t stand to have him hurt. Gomennasai!
Also, I don’t know if I’ve specified, but I always imagine Amaimon’s mark on her right side, so Rin’s would be on the left. If I said so differently or if you imagined the other way around, that’s fine. I don’t think it comes up in the plot.