Chapter Eighteen : Can we keep it?

“Hey, how about we go to the park today?” Y/n suggested.
“Okay” The two boys agreed in unison. This made Y/n laugh. As if they had a choice.

They walked through the park, Y/n in between Rin and Amaimon, holding onto their arms. Y/n was gleaming with joy as she walked. Not only was she outside in nature, which she loved, she was also with her two best friends who happened to also be her mates. Rin was quietly whistling out of boredom but didn’t dare to interrupt their walk in the park. Amaimon, however, was looking at Y/n, staring, curious as to why she was so happy.

He wondered if maybe he didn’t understand why she was so joyful was because he himself wasn’t capable of having those emotions, but he looked at Rin who didn’t share the same intensity of joy.
Sure, he looked around and a couple of people, who weren’t gleaming at their phones, were smiling in content. But not nearly as much as Y/n was.

“Y/n?” Amaimon spoke, breaking the silence and Rin stopped whistling.
“Yes, Amaimon.”
“Can I ask you a question?”
“You just did,” she responded, teasing him, but continued as she saw the look of confusion on his face. “Sure, go ahead. What’s the question?”
“Why are you so… happy?” Amaimon asked, not knowing how to word the question.
“I don’t know, I just am. I guess I just love being outside surrounded by nature.” He accepted that as an answer and the three continued walking as they were, Rin going back to whistling a soft tune.

After five minutes of peaceful walking, the three heard an unnatural sound. It sounded like a mew, like a pained cry of a small animal.
Immediately Y/n sprinted toward the source of the sound, quickly tracking the animal while Rin and Amaimon were still trying to figure out what was going on.

“It’s hurt,” Y/n said concerned about the strange creature that was extremely bloody. “It looks like it was left to die.”
“It’s a baby hobgoblin.” Amaimon commented emotionlessly.
“Maybe an exorcist tried to kill it. Apparently, they aren’t very good, probably an amateur,” Rin added. “Actually, even an amateur would know the basics.”

Y/n was angry at whoever could’ve done this, it hurt her to see the little demon in pain.
She put her hand on it carefully, as if to comfort the tiny hobgoblin. Almost instinctively, it was as if she was trying to send her energy to it.

Growing up, she knew she had a bond with animals. It was as if she could communicate with them without saying a word. It could just all be in her head, but she didn't care. She figured she had to try with the baby hobgoblin.

She wanted to comfort it and let it know someone was there. That she was there. And that it wasn't alone.

So she continued trying to establish a bond and send out the thoughts of comfort to it. She was wishing she could do something, that the little creature didn't have to be in pain.

“Uh, Y/n?” Rin said, pulling her out of her trance.
She turned to look at the two boys who seemed to be in a dazed trance themselves.
They were both staring past Y/n, Rin was loosely pointing in that direction.

Y/n was curious as to what they were so shocked about and turned around to where Rin was pointing.

They were looking at the hobgoblin. Only, it had changed.

It wasn't bleeding out, it was healed.

“W-wh-” Y/n was at a loss for words.
“How did you do that?” Amaimon asked, confused about what just happened.
“What do you mean?” Y/n was just as dumbfounded as they were.
“How did you heal it?” Rin asked.
“You mean… I did this?” They both nodded.

The three marveled at the miraculous recovery Y/n had caused.

Y/n spent some time making sure the hobgoblin was okay, and that's when she realized just how young it was.

“It's probably just a couple weeks old. It's too young to be separated from its mother.” Y/n felt bad for the young demon. That's when she came up with a plan. “Can we keep it?”

“No, Y/n” Rin and Amaimon both refused her offer.
“Too bad, we’re taking it home and care for it.”
“Why'd you even ask if you aren’t going to listen?” Rin asked.
“Well, I already made my mind. I just wanted to give you the illusion that you had a say” Y/n said, teasingly, and stuck her tongue out afterwards to further tease them.

When it was nearing lunchtime, the three headed home with their newest family member.

“What are you even going to name it?”

“Hmm,” she thought about it and came up with the perfect name. “What about Amairin?”
“Amairin?” Amaimon questioned.
“What kind of name is that?” Rin wondered out loud.

“Well, it's a combination of your names. Amai-Rin. Isn't it perfect?”

Named after the two people I love the most.

I didn't know how to end this chapter so I'll leave it here. I don’t think I specified it, but sometime before Rin marked her Y/n followed Mephisto’s advice and is learning to become a tamer and a doctor. Also, a random fact that will probably only matter in this chapter is that she’s able to heal plants and creatures (aka not humans, but demons are also included). This has something to do with her bond with nature that will come up in the future.