Chapter Nineteen : I'm Sorry

When their temporary break from school was over, Rin and Y/n prepared to go back to cram school. Because of a generic holiday, they didn't have school for academics but still had to take their class for becoming exorcists.

Y/n was covering up her now two marks and this time it was Rin’s turn to question why she did that.

"Y/n, why do you do that?" Rin asked, tilting his head to the side a little bit.

"Well," Y/n jumped a little, not knowing Rin was behind her. "It's so that people won't see it and find out."

"Why don't you want anyone to find out?"

"I've already gone through with this with Amaimon and I don't feel like repeating myself right now, but just trust me. Plus, if people saw that I had 2, how long would it be until they connected who I got them from. It could lead to them finding out you're a demon too."

"I guess that's a pretty good point," Rin said, rubbing the back of his neck. "Anyway, to change the subject, are you ready to go to class?"

Y/n didn't respond, but instead turned around and gave a sharp nod with a hmmph. 

Because they only had cram school, Y/n didn't want Amaimon to come in case someone saw him. But she didn't know how she was going to let Amaimon know. 

“Hey, Amaimon?" Y/n walked up to him, avoiding eye contact

"Hmm?" He hummed in response, signaling for her to continue.  

"We're about to go to the school."

"Oh, okay, I'll be out in a minute."

"Well.." Y/n's face scrunched up awkwardly, not knowing how to find the words to tell him. "I was thinking it would be best if you didn't come with us."

"What do you mean?" Amaimon's head tilted in confusion.

"It's just that today, the only classes I will have are for exorcist training. I won't be able to hide you in my pocket because I'll be moving around, and there isn't really a point in you hiding in my bag if I'm not going to be near it. And I don't want to risk someone seeing you any more than I have to" Y/n paused for a moment to think about any other points. "Plus, Rin will be there if anything happens."

Amaimon mumbled, "that's who I need to protect you from," but Y/n didn't hear exactly what he said so she dismissed it and continued talking. 

"Besides, I needed to talk to him about something. Privately." And without giving Amaimon any time to think if another response, she turned and walked out the door with Rin. 

They were halfway to their school when Y/n got the courage the say what was on her mind.

"Rin, I have something I need to tell you-"
"Me too"
"But I-"
"No, let me go first. Y/n," Rin stopped and looked into Y/n's eyes. "I love you"

"I really wish I had gone first," Y/n said with an uncertain face. 
"What is it?"

"Rin, I-" guilt flooded through her. "I'm sorry, I don't feel the same way." 

Y/n tried to scan Rin's face, trying to figure out his reaction but there was none. She grew worried. 

"I think it's better off if we just stay friends. It'll make things less complicated. You're my best friend, probably the only one I have right now, and I don't want some silly mark to ruin that for us."

"You're right, I understand." Rin gave one of his classic grins "It's okay"

Rin turned away and a tear escaped from his eye, it going unknown to Y/n, but she knew that he wasn't okay. But she also knew that he needed time and space so she remained silent. 

The two walked in an uncomfortable silence all the way to the school, the only thing that could be heard was their shoes on the pavement.

Just wanna let you guys know that I will probably never forgive myself for breaking Rin's heart, but it's for the good of the story (at least that's what I have to tell myself, I'm sorry Rin)
Anywho, It's been so long I kinda forgot how to write at first.
Seeing people actually reading and enjoying this story at first put pressure on me to make my chapters what I thought people would like but then I had to realize that the reason that people enjoy this is because of the way it is, and then seeing how people actually like it gave me confidence to continue. So I mean it a lot when I say thank you.