PART FIVE

We leave and start walking, and I take my phone out to order an Uber home, but Shawn sees this and protests:

"No, you can't go home now! A date is dinner and something! We've only had dinner."

"Maybe you can work from home, but I have to get up in the morning and go to work! You're the one who suggested a weekday date."

"Yeah, but can you blame me?" he starts. "I couldn't wait a whole week before seeing you," he adds.

I can feel myself blushing.

"Ha-ha. Very smooth. We'll compromise. We can go for a walk towards my apartment, that counts as 'and something', right?"

"Right. Lead the way!"

I take this opportunity to take his hand in mine and we start walking. Again, the conversation flows and feels so natural. We talk about pet peeves, and awkward dating stories.

I guess I thought the night would be colder, because I wore mittens, and my hands are now overheating.

"Hey Shawn, do you mind putting those in your pocket? They won't fit in my small purse."

"Yeah, no problem! Wow, those look warm!"

"They are! My mom knit them for me, fit for Canadian winter!"

We laugh and keep walking. After a while, I realize we're in front of my building.

"Oh, this is me."

"Oh, right. Well, I had a great night. I hope we can do it again sometime soon."

"Absolutely," I say as I smile.

I can feel he doesn't know if he should hug me, shake my hand, or what. I wish I knew what to do, too.

"Right then," I say as I start going up the stairs to the door, "have a good night!"

He still hasn't let go of my hand. Our arms fully extend, but instead of separating, he pulls me back with a shy smile.

"I don't want to let you go. Can I at least kiss you goodbye?"

"I'd love that," I reply as I feel my cheeks blush.

I can still feel the smile on his lips as he presses them against mine. His left hand is lifting my chin gently, and his right hand, that used to hold mine, is now on my waist. We move in unison, the slow kiss turning a bit too passionate for a first kiss.

"Wow," I say as I pull my face away from his. I thought the walk sobered us up a bit, but I guess some inhibitions are still down. "Well, goodnight Shawn."

"Goodnight Alice. Thanks again."

Iwalk up to the doors of the apartment building, and he stays to make sure I getin safe. Once inside, I turn back to flash him a smile through the glass door,and walk up to my apartment.