PART THIRTY SIX

Shawn and I spent the evening together, cuddled up and watching Netflix. I guess we're now just soaking up every last second we have together. I try to take mental pictures of him. Of how he looks when he's concentrating on the show, when he's starting the get sleepy, when he rests his head on his arm as he lies down, how his jaw looks particularly sharp in that angle, how his lips always look so full, how he sometimes licks them without really meaning to. I close my eyes and focus on how his chest feels against my back, how his arms are holding me not too tight, but still pulling me towards him, how his breathing is slow and calm. All of those things seem so trivial right now, but I know I will miss them in a week.

We ended up falling asleep like this, and I wake up the next morning with Shawn's arm still around me, and his low mumbling tells me he's still fast asleep. I get up and try not to wake him as I get ready for work. The smell of my eggs must've done the trick, because just as I'm about to eat, he joins me. He still looks tired, and his curls are all messy. *Click* I take another mental picture.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?" I greet him.

"Very well, thank you," he replies as he kisses me on the lips. "Heading to work?"

"Yeah, I gotta go! But I was thinking I could play hooky this Friday so we can spend one last full day together before you have to leave," I tell him.

"Ah yes! I didn't want to ask you to ditch work, but I would love that. I also have a surprise for you."

"Oooh! A surprise? What is it!" I say, intrigued.

"Guess you'll have to see on Friday!" he teases me. "C'mon, eat your omelet, you can't be late two days in a row."

I take his advice and rush to work. I can't really let my mind wander too much since the amount of work we have is still quite big, but that surprise is on my mind all day. What could it be? He's done so much for me already.

After work, I head directly to Shawn's place. I use the key I took back from him and make my way to his apartment, only to find it empty. I get comfortable — yes, I snag another hoodie from his closet — and check my phone as I lie on the couch.

"Where are you?" I text him.

"I'm at yours, when are you coming home from work?" he replies.

I send him a selfie, lying down on his couch, in his clothes.

"Fuck! Are you serious? Don't move, I'm on my way."

"Wait Shawn! Since you're there, can you pick up an outfit for me? From my closet, any shirt that's on a hanger will do, and some underwear for tomorrow. Thanks, love."

"For sure hun, anything else?"

"What do you wanna eat? I don't feel like cooking."

"We can order UberEats, I'll see you when I get home. Love you."

I send a few kissy emojis, and check Instagram. Since Shawn followed me and announced publicly that he was dating someone, a few people connected the dots, but nothing overwhelming. So I reply to the videos Mateo sent me, I scroll down my feed and before I reach the end, I hear Shawn's key turn the lock. He meets me in the living room with my stuff, and we get to ordering food, because we are both already hungry.

"What do you feel like eating?" he asks me.

"I don't know, nothing fancy. I could go for some McNuggets, honestly."

"Great, we'll just get some McDonald's. Do you want just nuggets or we split some and get a burger?" Shawn asks me as he pulls out his phone to start the order.

"Uhm, get me a cheeseburger and like, a ten-piece of nuggets to split?" I reply. "Man I wish McD made poutine here."

"What? McD has poutine?" Shawns asks, surprised.

"Uh, yeah! In Quebec it does! It's great."

"But how, where do they get the gravy? Or the cheese?"

"They have cheese curds packaged for one poutine, and packs of gravy powder they mix with hot water. Gotta get the ratio right, too, other wise it's too thick or too runny."

"Yeah, hard science, McDonald's poutine!" Shawn mocks me.

"You would be surprised, Mendes!"

"Alright, so nuggets, cheeseburger, I got myself the large fries because for sure you will want some — I laugh, he's right — and I know if you don't get a McFlurry, you'll regret it."

"You know me so well. What would I do without you!" I say, and then it hits me that he's truly leaving.

I think it hits him too, because we share an awkward look for a second.

"Ok, order is placed! Should be here in 45 minutes!" Shaw changes the subject. "Wanna keep watching The Umbrella Academy?" he asks.

"Yeah sure! I'll go take this makeup off while you get the TV ready."

I come back and see Shawn on the couch, with a big blanket. He wraps us up in it, and we spend another cute evening together, talking about anything and everything.

"See, I don't know what I'll do without you, Shawn," I start, "because if I spend the night in, eating fast food and watching Netflix with you, it's a cute date! But if I do that by myself, it's just sad..."

I get a laugh out of him and he squeezes me harder in his arms.

"I'll miss you," he says through his laugh, but I feel a bit of sadness in his tone.

I look up at him to give him a kiss.

"So! What's my surprise?" I ask cheerfully.

"Uh, it's not Friday yet. Patience, young Padawan!"

"Fine..." I feign being mad as I turn back to watch our show.

The next few days are the same. I leave Shawn in the morning to go to work, we meet again after I'm done to have dinner together and spend the evening enjoying each other's company. Now half my stuff is at his place, and half his stuff is at mine. Which reminds me, I should hide my favourite hoodie of his so I can keep it while he's on tour.