PART FORTY FOUR

We managed to stay pretty quiet — either that or the walls are better soundproofed than Brian feared — and we fall asleep early, tired from the flight and the events of the day. Shawn also has a big day ahead of him, with rehearsals and a show tonight!

We wake up from the phone ringing.

"Wake up call for Mr. Mendes."

"Yeah, thanks," I answer groggily.

I hang up and roll over to Shawn, shaking him awake. I hear him grunt, so I assume he's up. I guess I could also be a bit more gentle, so I slowly trace my fingers up and down his bare back, and when I feel goose bumps on his skin, I smile to myself and prop myself up so I can kiss his cheek.

"Wake up! Big day today!"

I get up and head for the shower, and seeing my naked body walk away from the bed definitely woke up Shawn. He tries to follow me in, but I'm quicker than him and lock the door behind me. Hearing him knock on the door makes me giggle.

"Ah! You gotta wait your turn!" I yell out as I start the shower.

A few minutes later I get out of the shower, and Shawn jumps off the bed as soon as he hears the door open. He tries to block the door and kiss me, but I take advantage of being so much shorter than him to sneak away — I know him! If we start this now, he'll be late. And I will not be responsible for that! He tries to follow me, but I put both hands on his chest and push him in the bathroom. Just as I reach for the door handle to close it, my towel falls, and I just see Shawn's jaw drop before I shut the door. I laugh again, and I hear him start the shower, accepting nothing's gonna happen this morning.

A lot of time passes, and what probably ended up being a cold shower finally comes to an end. Shawn steps out of the bathroom and I'm already dressed, putting the finishing touches on my makeup.

"Whoa. How do you keep surprising me, every day!"

I look at him, towel around his waist.

"I could ask you the same thing..."

I step forward to meet him and extend my neck so he comes down to kiss me softly. I watch him get dressed, and am blown away by how little he has to do to look so good. He catches me smiling and shaking my head.

"What?" he asks.

"Nothing! Hurry, I'm hungry."

We head down to breakfast, and meet the rest of the gang in the lobby. I can easily blend in the group as we leave and get in a van that takes us all to the arena for rehearsal. The drive isn't very long, and when we get there, Shawn is first shown to his dressing room. We all chill there for a little bit until Andrew comes to get Shawn. They lead us to the arena for the sound check, so I wander around the place, trying to imagine all the people on their way here, right now.

Suddenly, Shawn's voice fills the air and I turn around to look at him. I recognize the lyrics, I sing along, but I can't place which SM3 song this is. The chorus comes around, and I have to sit down and clutch at my heart.

"I give you this song, call it what you like.

I give you my heart, do with it what you like.

This song is your song, call it what you like.

My heart is your heart, do with it what you like."

This is my song. Well, "Your Song". Which is mine. And as he told me, I can call it what I like, and it's my song. The song he was too shy to play the recording of for me while also in the room, he's now singing it for me on stage. I'm sitting far away, but I know he can see my smile from there. I blow him a kiss, and enjoy this semi-private performance.