PART NINETEEN

We get back to Shawn's place with bags full of groceries, and start putting them away. Since I'm the one who's gonna do most of the cooking (for now!), I suggest I be the one to organize where everything goes. So while I do that, I ask Shawn if he'd put on some music. He puts on his playlist of the moment, and I dance while putting stuff away. I start getting some stuff out for the recipe I want to make — I chose this great ramen I've perfected over the years.

"So Shawn, what do you usually do to eat if you don't cook?" I ask him.

"Well, I either go out, or order in. And my mom sometimes brings me food," he replies.

"Your mom? How old are you?" I ask sarcastically.

"I'm.. I'm 20!" he answers seriously.

"Oh true. Well, when I lived close to my mom, she also sent me soup and packed lunches, so I get it! I hope you know you're a lucky boy!"

"Boy? I'm a boy now?"

"Well, there is a bit of an age gap, if you think about it. I will be 24 before you can legally drink in the US."

"Oh yeah? Was I a boy this morning, then?" he asks me, furrowing his eyebrows as a smirk spreads across his face.

It stops me in my tracks. I look up at him and my jaw drops. My expression turns slowly into a smile, and I have to bite my bottom lip to keep myself from laughing. I try to think of a comeback, but I can't:

"Okay, that's fair. You got me, Mendes."

He grins in pride and comes over to my side of the kitchen island and grabs my hands to start dancing. His cute little prancing makes me smile as well and he kisses me gently on the lips. We dance to the song playing, and I go back to my cooking.

"Is it okay if I stop the music and jam on my guitar a bit?" Shawn asks me.

"Shawn. If I ever say no to that question, shoot me."

He looks at me with that surprised expression on his face, his eyes wide open.

"Noted," he says.

He pauses the playlist, and I can hear the notes of his guitar coming from the living room fill the apartment. He mindlessly starts singing. It's low at first, but gets louder and more passionate. I know he's in the zone, he's not thinking of anything else. And seeing him like this is so great. I was never much of an artist myself, but I always enjoyed the way they can completely abandon themselves to their art. There's nothing quite like it, and it gives me chills.

By 6:30, the ramen is done, and I get it ready for us to eat. I bring the bowls to the living room, and Shawn comes back to reality.

"Mhmm, it smells good!"

"Thanks. My brother always loved it when I made that."

"Hey! Speaking of brothers, are we still on for family dinner at my parents' next Saturday?"

I have a spoonful of broth in my mouth and I almost choke on it.

"Oh my, you were serious about that?"

"Well of course! Don't you want to meet my family?"

"I do! I do. But you can't blame me for being a little nervous. This seems so serious."

"Well, yeah. But no! They just heard so much about you, they can't wait to meet you. See for themselves."

"Wait- I'm sorry- They what? Heard so much about me? What have you been saying, Shawn?" I ask him seriously.

"Nothing! Just- I guess they noticed something was making me happy. And I told them I met someone. And I told them she is the funniest, wittiest French-Canadian girl I've ever met. I can't help but smile when I'm with her. She's smart and confident, and I feel like I can be myself with her."