PART SIX

*I wanna love you with the lights on. Keep you up all night long. Darling, I wanna see every inch of you, I get lost in the way you move. I wanna love you with the lights on*

I sing along in the shower — no one can blame me for being in a Shawn Mendes mood — while getting ready for drinks with Xavier, who's waiting for me in my apartment. I couldn't expect him to wait a week to get details about my date. I sing the last lines of Lights On, and the song changes. The first few bars play, and I can't remember what song it is, so I yell through the door:

"Xav? Can you check my phone and tell me what's the title of this song?"

"It's When You're Ready," I hear a different voice reply.

"Please tell me your voice suddenly sounds different."

It can't be, Shawn can't be here. Why is he here? Oh no, Xavier didn't even know it was Shawn Mendes that I met. How did he react? Why am I worrying about that, he just caught me singing along to his song when I'm not even supposed to know who he is...

"Nope," I hear Shawn say, "I think you clearly know who this is. I was just bringing back your mittens, they were still in my pockets, and I figured you'd need them. I think I'm gonna go."

"No, wait Shawn, please. I'm sorry I'm shouting through a door, but please call me when you get home. I'll explain. I promise."

And I hear the door close.

"Fuck!" I scream as I get out of the bathroom, in a towel, with wet hair. "Xav, since when do you buzz in strangers into my apartment while I'm in the shower?"

"Strangers? Alice you didn't tell me you went on a date with Shawn Mendes. What the hell!"

"Well, we haven't really talked about that. Like, I wanted him to bring it up first. I didn't want to date the world famous Grammy nominated artist. I wanted to get to know the real person he is. And I didn't wanna jinx it by telling you, either. Why did you let him in!"

"He said he was just dropping off something you forgot, so I figured it was your date. And you know me, of course I wanted to see him! Nice catch, babe."

"Yeah, well, I don't know about that anymore."

I still went out for drinks with Xavier and a few friends, but I wasn't much fun that night. My eyes were glued to my phone. Oh, how I longed for the mini heart attack I get every time the quacking starts. But it never came. Around 10, I said goodbye to everyone and went back home.