PART SIXTEEN

Shawn and I have been dating for a few weeks now. We haven't had the actual boyfriend/girlfriend conversation, but we did mention being exclusive, and he did introduce me to his friends as his girlfriend, Alice, so yeah, I guess I can say we're in a relationship. I took him on cute dates, he took me on extravagant ones. I'm getting used to it! I'm very happy, and I think Shawn is too. He said he was taking me to his parents's house next weekend to meet everyone! That seems serious to me.

Shawn's POV

I'm at Andrew's apartment for the pre-drink, and things are going well. The gang's all together, we're having a little blow out to celebrate the tour announcements. After a few drinks and a lot of laughs, we decide we need to move this party to a club, so we get a van and leave.

When we get to Club 96, a few guys go get drinks and I'm shown the VIP section. I thank the bouncer, and take a seat. A waitress comes by, but we tell her we're good, just as the guys come back with drinks for everybody. A few people come up and want to take pics with me, so I take a few selfies and I hope I don't look too drunk in them.

The song changes in the club, and I wanna take a lap. I know this'll cause a bit of a commotion, but hey! It's all part of the gig. I start walking around when I spot Alice at the bar! I don't even think about it and I go up behind her, put my hands on her waist as I scream — the club is quite loud! — hi, and spin her halfway to kiss her. She backs up and I open my eyes to realize I was wrong, oh I was so wrong. This isn't Alice! But the girl, who now realized the stranger kissing her was not ugly, starts kissing me again. I pull my face away, and try to explain over the loud noise:

"I'm sorry! I thought this was someone else! I'm sorry I didn't mean to! Are we okay? Can I buy you a drink to apologize?"

"No worries, dude. I mean, Shawn. You're Shawn Mendes, right?" the girl answers.

"Yeah! Sorry again. Here let me get you another drink!"

I get the bartender's attention, and ask for another of the same thing for her, and I slide him a $20 bill. "Keep the change man, thanks!"

I apologize again to the girl, and take a selfie with her and her friends. I go back to our section, sit down, and Brian can clearly see I'm concerned with something.

"Hey man! What's up?" he asks, not as casually as usual.

"I fucked up Brian, I fucked up," I say, truly upset.

"What happened? What do you mean you fucked up?"

"I just- I thought I saw Alice, but her back was turned to me, so I went up to surprise her, and I did surprise the totally random chick I just kissed."

"Dude! You what?!" Brian can't believe what I just said.

"I fucking kissed... I don't even know who. Alice has the same shirt, and her hair was up in a... whatever, bun, thing, and I thought it was Alice! Shit. Should I tell her?" I ask Brian.

I don't want to fuck this up, and I don't know what to do. I'm not a cheater! I don't want Alice to get the wrong idea.

"I don't know, man, she probably won't be thrilled about you making out with randos in the club," Brian tells me.

That's not very reassuring. I sit and think for a while, but the beer and the shots... It's all too much. I go with my gut, and take out my phone. I click on Alice's contact and call as I leave the club.

Your POV

*Quack! Quack! Quack!*

"What is this!" I wake up in a panic. If that ringtone startles me when I'm awake, it definitely gets my heart pounding at...

"2:13 AM. It is 2:13 AM, Shawn. The only reason I got this call is because you're in my favourite contacts, so this better be important, or you're getting demoted, my dear," I say in a sleepy voice.

"I think I fucked up."

He sounds panicked. That worries me and I am now wide awake.

"Okay babe, breathe. Is anyone hurt?"

"No! No everyone's fine. We were just out. And I'm at the club, and I've been drinking, and there's a lot of fans, and girls, and-" he says in between shallow breaths.

"Shhhh. Hey. Shawn? Listen to me, okay?" I interrupt him.

He stops talking, but I can still hear his shallow breaths.

"Take a deep breath with me, okay?" We breathe in.

"Now slowly let it all go. Are you good? Can you talk?"

"Yeah, I'm better. Sorry about that. But I don't know if you'll be happy you helped me in a few seconds," Shawn replies.

"Okay... That doesn't sound good. What happened?" If I felt less worried, that was short-lived.

"I think I cheated on you."

"Think? What do you mean think?" I say, suddenly less caring and more snappy.

"I mean, I didn't mean to! But I thought I saw you at the club, so I wanted to surprise you. But as you know, you're not in Club 96 right now. But I didn't know that. So I kissed another girl that, from behind, looks so much like you! I swear! But I'm sorry. I just felt so bad, and I don't know if I should've told you, but I was in there, and Brian was no help. And I just wanted to know what you thought I should do. So I called."

There's a pause. I sigh.

"Shawn. Look, I didn't think I'd be having this conversation at... 2:16 in the freaking morning. But to me, cheating is lying. It's not how far you went, if you had sex or just kissed or flirted. It's not about if it's in real life or by text. It's anything you're doing that you wouldn't want me to find out about. If you're lying to me about it, it's because you know in your heart of hearts that you shouldn't be doing it. Right now, calling me in the middle of the night because of an accidental kiss that you couldn't wait to confess to me, that's not cheating," I say, as reassuring as I can possibly be. "Thank you for telling me, I would've hated to learn about it from someone else."

There's another pause. Shawn breaks the silence:

"So you're not mad?"

"Well now, that's not a pass to kiss anyone and call me right after to say sorry!"

"No! I would never!" Shawn says, hastily. I smile.

"Of course, I know. I'm kidding. Now put that girl on the phone," I joke.

"What?"

"She needs to know you're mine, Mendes."

"Oh you're getting territorial! I like that," he jokes right back.

"Alright now! I'm gonna go back to sleep. Go back to your friends, say hi to everyone for me, and most importantly, don't forget the last thing I said."

"That I'm yours?" Shawn asks, amused.

There's a slight pause before I hang up.

I plug my phone back in, and I see I have a text from Shawn.

"Just letting you know, you're mine too."

I smile as I fall back asleep, a warm feeling in my heart.