CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE WHAT THE SOUND ATTRACTED

We are finally ready to get out of this damp, awful place, hopefully to be forever forgotten for good now. I sigh quietly as both follow me out, passing through the eerie halls, now mostly empty as the zombies went searching for the sounds of Richard banging; pun intended ha!; as I slash them up.

The remaining creatures, however, stood on the remote side of the hospital, unable to hear us from so far away, still lingering inside the normal hospital part where, of course, they stood between our exit and here, making us walk back until we reach it, again.

That's when I felt it, a shiver run down my spine instinctively making my eyes bloody red and my fangs to extend in a silent hiss.

In these quiet halls, not even the shuffling of the zombies and their groans could be heard anymore as a can fell down far in the distance, the echoing metallic sound resonating, a beacon saying that we were not alone anymore.

And I recognize that smell.

"Fuck, not good. Richard, stay close to Dylan, I'll try to keep it at bay, but if things get nasty..."

I didn't have time to finish as a shadow pounce at me, jumping high with four limbs stretched out. Without proper time to arm myself I simple back-fist it, making the creature fly straight to a wall head first. With my night vision I could see it clearly.

And it wasn't good, not at all.

"Fuck, a Runner? But they don't jump. Fuck, it is a Hunter?!" Richard says as he grabs the ax with both hands, opening his legs, ready to strike.

"No, it's not a Hunter, not even a zombie, is far worse than that."

They were about to question it when the creature spasmed, the twisted body reacting as if bolted with electricity, and suddenly turned up at all fours, rising slowly to two as if to show off its figure.

His body was slim, sickly thin, the ribcage visible beyond a thin layer of pale skin, his arms appearing to be made of only bones, his back bended a little forward, his spine very apparent as you could draw it with your fingers, even more as parts of it were poking out, breaking the grey skin.

Now that it was plain in sight the creature did not bother to hide anymore as it kept clattering his teeth together, his milky white eyes staring us down with a crazy look to them, bugging out of his face.

Cracking the knuckles of his long bonny fingers, it gave a hollow scream and dived in once more as it runs at us, black long claws stretched out.

This time, however, he felt straight into my blade and, with a clean cut that only a well-kept sword could master, his limbs were severed like fresh-of-the-oven bread, a gush of black goopy blood splashing out all over us before he falls, his head following the same destiny as its limbs soon after, rolling to the side.

Moving my sword quickly to the side I manage to get part of the blood out, some still dripping from the tip, now the only sound on that empty hall.

Fuck, some droops had reached my shoes, eww.

Licking my lips I look worriedly, thinking as I stare when the corpse cracks down like a vase into smaller pieces, until only dust remained.

"What was that?" Richard asks again, making me look towards then, finding Dylan behind him.

"That is bad news. Follow me, quiet, its master must already know we are here."

"Master?"

"Ssh."

All the decay already present in this place makes more difficult to pinpoint where were the others, not having me believing for a second that the creature came alone, they never did.