Chapter 40

The Winter Formal: Part 2

MOANA

I watched as Ariel seemed to have a pretty serious conversation with Eric, and I made sure that she didn't need me there. But she seemed to be staying strong, smiling at some points. I sighed and backed up against the wall alone. The lights dimmed and the first slow dance song of the night came on, "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele. I could feel awkwardness and horniness radiating through the room at the same time.

I watched sadly as Ariel and Eric looked around, and Eric offered her his hand before she accepted and was led onto the dance floor. She put her hands around his neck and his were placed respectfully on her waist. I averted my eyes. I wanted to cry. I felt like I was going to be alone forever. "When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one there to dry your tears
Oh, I hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love."

I mean, why couldn't Ariel see how I felt? I'd been unable to escape this torment from the moment I met her. I had been immediately captured by her bright eyes and bubbly personality, her hair and love for odd accessories. Whenever she touched me or even looked at me, I blushed and got shivers down my spine.

And then pain would course through me. The pain of knowing that she'd never like me like that. The pain of knowing she'd only ever see me as a friend, and if I were to confess my feelings, it might ruin our whole relationship. My only solution was to remain in the dark, alone. I had to get over her. I just didn't know how.
I was in love. I was in love for the first time in my life, and I couldn't do anything about it.

"I'd go hungry; I'd go black and blue
And I'd go crawling down the avenue
No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, but I quickly wiped them away. I wish I could make Ariel feel the love I had for her. I could do so much for her. I felt like in just a few months, I had gotten to know her unlike anyone else. I just wanted her to love me back. But it would never happen. "I could make you happy, make your dreams come true
There's nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of this Earth for you
To make you feel my love, oh yes
To make you feel my love." Despite my efforts to push my sorrow aside, I felt a tear fall down my cheek. As the song ended, I quickly picked up my dress and made my way to the bathroom, quietly pushing through others who were watching the slow dance alone.

I entered the bathroom, my chin quivering. I went into an empty stall and leaned up against the wall, finally releasing a sob. Tears flowed down my cheeks, and I all I could picture is Ariel, in love with Eric and leaving me behind. I would be alone forever. I kept crying, desperately taking some toilet paper to dab at my cheeks. I had probably ruined my makeup, but it didn't matter. I might as well go home anyway. What I wouldn't give to be actually home right now. If I had never come to this school and stayed on my island, I never would have fallen for Ariel. My heart would have never felt this anguish.

I heard someone knock on the stall door. I sniffed, wiping at my nose as I hurriedly called, "In a minute!" I grabbed a few more pieces of toilet paper.

"Who is this? Are you okay?" the girl asked, and I took a breath before slowly opening the door. It was Tinkerbell.

"Moana!" she said in surprise. Her eyes traveled over my face. "Are you all right?"

I walked out of the stall, and thankfully the rest of the bathroom was empty. "Yeah, fine. It's just that the only person I have ever loved doesn't know and will never love me back. But I'm okay."

Tink followed suit and leaned up against the sink counter, staring at the tiled floor. "Yeah. I'm kind of in the same situation."

I glanced over at her. "Really?"