Chapter 41

JACK

The second after Elsa's glove ended up in my hands, I knew I had messed up. Elsa's face of shock had broke me. I didn't even flinch when the dangerous ice came spiking towards me — I just needed to get to her.

And so I did. I had pushed my way through the staring crowd. "Jack!" Anna had called out to me. She, Kristoff, and Hans were standing there, looking extremely concerned. I narrowed my eyes at Hans. What, was he afraid of running out of people to stalk? "Jack, what happened?" Anna asked me. She looked scared. She knew what Elsa was capable of.

I shook my head. "I have to go after her," I said with determination, and I started to turn around again.

"Let me go with you," both Anna and Hans said, and I whipped around with anger searing in my eyes. I would not let Hans near my girlfriend, especially not now.

"No," I hissed, giving one last glare to Hans before turning back around and crashing through the gym's doors and into the rain. It was completely dark, and the rain and wind was limiting my vision.

Wind.

I set off to the forest, keeping Elsa's glove close to my chest. I tried to squint through the weather, before I saw it: the lake. It was completely frozen over, with hurried ice patterns dancing across it. I cautiously tested my weight on the layer of ice before sprinting across into the woods.

There was a trail that she had left, leaving ice covering the trees and leaves on the ground. I followed it quickly, but then suddenly, it stopped. It was like she had just disappeared. My heart had dropped. I hoped she was okay.

I ran to the pond, but to my surprise, it was still liquid. Elsa hadn't come here, unlike I suspected. I sifted around the dead leaves and finally found my staff. I grabbed it tightly, the familiar chill giving me goosebumps as I glanced up to the full moon. "All right, wind," I called, feeling the breeze gather around me. "Help me find Elsa."

I was whisked into the air, the wind catching my suit jacket and lifting me higher and higher into the clear night sky. It was starting to get stormy again. I hope she didn't get caught in it, but then again, she might have caused it. I squinted my eyes as the strong wind stung them, scanning the forest. There seemed to be no explanation. She had simply vanished. I turned around, levitating as I looked over the rest of the campus. All I could see were a few dance-goers bustling to the gym, laughing. I looked at the forest again. There was no trace of her, no trail I could follow.

The wind carried me to the street, loud and fast cars underneath me. I didn't see her. Panic grew in my chest as I kept looking around. She was nowhere. She was gone. It was all my fault.

ELSA

Honk! I cried out as two bright lights came speeding towards me. I acted quickly, the adrenaline rushing through me as I held my hands out for protection. I heard a crash and opened my eyes. A wall of ice had formed in front of me, and the car ran into it, its hazard lights blinking and steam rising from the hood.

I gasped in shock. People were starting to get out of their cars as screeches were heard and cars bumped into one another. Everyone was staring at me. "Hey!" a man yelled, and I whimpered before turning and running out of the street, away from the school and away from my ice wall. "Hey! Someone grab her, she ruined my car!" someone shouted, and I pushed my legs harder, taking random turns down dark avenues. My heels pounded on the concrete and the air was stinging my lungs. It was like they were frosting over. The air was getting colder, anywhere I went. I was completely losing control.

I finally came across a park, panting. It was far away. I didn't even know I could run that fast. It was empty. I walked cautiously through. I didn't know if I could go back to school. My powers were getting out of hand, and if I had broken the ban...