8- Marshmallow

After a long time of explaining and a hell lot of tears, I calm down, shut up and look at Hunter.

He's deep in thought, his eyes trained on a tree, biting his bottom lip.

"Come here B." He says with open arms and I practically fall into his embrace. I know I need him right now, no matter how much we argue and fight. 

I probably look like a mess. A big ugly mess.

"No your not. Your perfect- I mean uh, don't worry." He says. Shit I said that out loud.

"Aw since when were you such a softie?" I tease but smile from his words.

After a while Hunter breaks the silence.

"I knew something was up when suddenly this dude named Bryan claimed to be your bloody brother." He adds with a chuckle and I join in. "but I just assumed he was you're step brother or some shit." 

"God I'm stupid. So fucking stupid." and with that we laugh until my sides hurt.

"So...he's like your brother now aye?"
"Yeah, I love him." I smile.

"You don't love him as much as you love me." He smirks and I chuckle shaking my head.

"Isn't it weird that we're friends again after all of this?" I say craning my neck up to look up at him.

"Well yeah... I guess." He pauses and his lips turns up into a dimpled smile, "but what's wrong with weird?"

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong with that." I smile back and spin around for him to wrap his arms around me from the back. I rest my head back, onto his chest, watching the sun set.

"It's sunset?!" I say, panicking. "What if we get lost? What if we trip over a stick? What if we get eaten?" Hunter laughs then says,

"Calm down. We can just grab the sticks and walk back." He says calmly but I swear I'm going to hyperventilate.

"Why are you so chill?" I ask standing up and brushing the dirt off my ass.

"I've learnt to control my emotions over time." He says grabbing a pile of sticks and looking away from my ass. Perv much?  I trudge along behind him as he begins walking.

"Fucking splinters!" I groan, as a throbbing pain spreads through my pinky. Its nothing, suck it up.

Hunter chuckles at me so I nudge him in the ribs and run ahead, where I can see our group in the clearing.

"Finally! Were you like screwing in there or something?" Maya practically shouts as I put the wood in a pile in the fire pit.

Hunter drops his in the pile once he catches up and grabs a lighter from his pocket, bringing the fire to life.

"Who just carries around a lighter?" I say to him.

"Someone who smokes." Caleb says lightly and I freeze. Hunter glares at Caleb before glancing at me.

"Since when did you- actually don't worry." I sigh and sit down on one of the logs. The fire soon develops heat and I just sit quietly, my face burning from the close distance of the flames.

It isn't a big deal that Hunter smokes but in that moment, Trevor flashed through my mind. His cigarette butts scattered through the house, left for me to clean. The walls were stained yellow from the smoke and...it was just a bad memory. I shouldn't be affected by it, but I am. It feels like a sense of betrayal even, to think that Hunter wouldn't be like Trevor in any possible way, but he is...

"Hey you ok?" Ruby sits next to me. 

"Peachy." I say weakly and rest my elbows on my knees. Maya is laughing with Caleb, her skin glowing from the orange flames. Hunter's talking with Bryan, an unreadable expression on his face, and Mason is away from the group, talking with Georgia. What was her problem with me?

Ruby seems to get the hint, and leaves me alone in my own damn loneliness. Maybe it's better to be alone than to get hurt.

"Marshmallow?" Mason comes up to me with a bag of marshmallows, his mouth stuffed with them.

He sits beside me, obviously feeling pity for me. "Sugar fixes everything."

"There's nothing to fix." I lie, catching eye contact with Hunter who's not afraid to stare like a psycho.

"Aye don't lie to Mason the m-ma." He tries to think of a name. "Oh I don't bloody know. But I can tell there's something up with Hunter and you." I look at him and he looks genuinely curious.
"Do you think-" I begin.

"Yeah I think often."

"That's not what I mean. Do you think-"

"Yep."

"Quit it."

"Fine, ask away." He replies.

"Thankyou." I sigh.

"Your welcome."
"Oh my fuck. I forget what I was gonna ask you now." I huff and Mason smiles victoriously.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I laugh.

"Is that even a question?"
"Well let me remind your goofy ass that you're the one who wanted to talk with me. So why are you cutting me off?" I smile.
"Ok listen up. Caleb is the ass, Hunter is the bi-polar shithead and I'm the funny one." He says. nothing to do with what I just said...

"It's not funny when you call yourself funny." I reply getting caught up in my own words.

"Do I look like I care?" He says and throws a marshmallow into his mouth.
"Oh just give 'em here." I grab a marshmallow and a stick from the outside of the fire where it hasn't yet burnt.

"Do you realise that they're here to roast on the fire?" I laugh at Mason stuffing more marshmallows into his mouth like a chipmunk.

"Free country." He says, muffled as I roast mine, but take it out of the flames before it catches fire.

Mason takes my marshmallow straight off the stick and as he's about to eat it, I slap his arm.

"You bastard!" I hiss as it falls out of his hand and flops on the floor.
"My poor baby." I say.

"Are you on about the marshmallow or Hunter? 'Coz either one, I am deeply disturbed." He mocks.

"No, not Hunter you idiot." I huff. "My fucking marshmallow."

"I believe you roasted it wrong." Mason replies. "I couldn't let you eat it."
"Ha ha." I roll my eyes.
"Watch and learn Brianna." He holds the marshmallow over the flames but then it catches fire and he curses under his breath.

"Oh I'm watching." I mock as he retrieves his charcoal coloured treat.

"Yum yum. Eat up." I laugh but he doesn't and instead throws it over the fire. I watch it fly into Hunter's face.

"Oopsie." Mason says as Hunter pulls the gooey mess off his face and walks over to us. I stifle a laugh, biting my lip. Hunter smears the goo all over Mason's face, breaking his angry expression and begins laughing.

"Fuck. Off." Mason laughs and (both of them covered in marshmallow) wrestles Hunter to the ground. If they roll into the fire I'm gonna wheeze.

It must be normal for them to fuck around like this because no one is alarmed or really cares. Whatever. 

Mason isn't too bad is he? 

ok no interesting ending for this chapter but it was more of a filler and to show more of what Mason is like. 

Who's ur fave female and male character??    >>   >>    >>    >>