best friend's brother | n.h.

[author's note: have ya'll ever listened to the song from victorious; if not you should as you read this]

"Mae! I don't know what to do! What would Dawn think?" You were currently sprawled on Mae's bed.

She spins around in her chair to look at you, "I'm sure, Dawn would be pretty okay with you having a crush on her brother. She has three after all, it wouldn't be a surprise if one of her friends like one of her brothers."

You throw her a look of despair, "But, what if she's not! I don't want her to know!"

Mae rolls her eyes. Focusing back on homework, "Just call Dawn, ask her if you can come over and tell her, then. Easy as that."

"Yeah, it easier to say then do. Plus, Nicky's home. He could answer the phone, and I would get nervous." You turn on your stomach. Burying your face into her bedsheets, grumbling.

Pausing in her writing, Mae turns to you. A smirk on her face, as she asks, "And how do you know Nicky's at home?"

Your eyes widen, "Did I say that? Ha, no. I just meant that maybe he was home, not like I remember his schedule or something." Waving Mae off as she continues to arch her eyebrow.

"Mmhm," Mae says. Rolling her eyes and turning back to her assignment. "Just call her, (Y/N)."

"Fine. But, if this goes terribly wrong you're not invited to my funeral."

"What? How would you even die from this?"

"I would die from embarrassment, of course." You bring your phone out. Scrolling through your favorites to find Dawn's contact, pressing it.

It rings once, twice. "Hello?"

You mouth, "It's Nicky!"

"I know," Mae mouths back.

"Uh, hello? (Y/N)?" You hear Nicky say.

Scrambling to answer, you reply, "Hey Nicky! How did you know it was me?"

The line on the other side, chuckles. Your heart flipping when you hear him laugh. "You called Dawn's phone remember? She has your contact saved, I just assumed the unicorn, yellow heart, and '(Y/N)' was you."

"Oh, yeah. Anyways, is Dawn home?" You ask.

Nicky responded, "She's upstairs. Do you want me to tell her, you called?"

"Please do, ask her if I could come over today."

You hear him scoff, then laugh lightly. "I could've answered that (Y/N). I would love for you to come over." He pauses, "I mean, not just me. Dawn too! Squishy definitely misses you."

The bark you hear at the end of Nicky's  sentence, makes you laugh. "Aww, tell Squishy I'll see him soon. And, I saw Dawn yesterday, she couldn't have missed me that much."

"Trust me, she does and so do I. See you soon, then?" You didn't know if it was just you, but you heard Nicky's voice turn a little cracked at the end. Like he hoped to see you.

Shaking away your thoughts, "Can't wait." Ending the call, you make your way to Mae. "Ahh, did you hear him? He said he would love for me to come over!" Wrapping your arms around her shoulder as you start to gush.

She shoves your arms off, laughing a bit, "Alright, I heard. We weren't that far from each other, when you called. Don't you have specific quadruplet to tell that you like her brother? Also, don't avoid the topic! Tell Dawn straight up!"

"Yeah, yeah. I get it, Mae." Hitting her arm lightly, making your way out of her room. "Wish me luck!"

"Best of wishes, my fair lady!" Mae yells. You let out a laugh, hearing her do the same.